5

The next day, John was reading his pharmacology textbook when Sherlock entered the study. He closed the door behind him.

"Sherlock...?"

"You didn't tell my brother about last night."

"Umm... no. Why would I?"

Sherlock looked honestly surprised.

"Look, I know you brother's here to look after you but..." John shrugged. "You're an adult. And while I don't approve of you using drugs, I really don't feel like it's my business to tell Mycroft what you get up to."

"Oh," said Sherlock. "Well. Good. Thank you."

It was a few weeks before John found himself having a weekend where he felt he had time to go out again. He went to a different bar than he had last time, hoping for better luck.

Around midnight, John found himself dancing with attractive dark-haired woman named Jeanette.

"So," she said during the second song, "you havin' fun?"

"Yeah." John decided to take a chance. "I'd have more fun if we were alone together."

Jeanette smiled. "Sounds good."

"Excellent," said John. "But I have flatmates..."

"I don't," Jeanette said with a meaningful smile.

John entered the house to see Greg and Mycroft eating breakfast.

"There's some toast and bacon left," said Greg.

"I had some breakfast already, thanks."

John went to his room. He noticed right off that his bed was unmade. He was certain he'd made it the day before. After a moment's thought, he went to the study room. Sherlock was there, going through his chemistry notes.

"Sherlock, were you in my room last night?"

"Yes," Sherlock answered, not bothering to look up.

"Why?"

"I slept in your bed."

"You slept..." John ran his hand down his face. "Why did you sleep in my bed?"

Sherlock finally looked at him.

"You weren't using it."

Sherlock's voice was calm and matter-of-fact. It was clear to John that Sherlock had no idea he had done anything wrong.

Taking a breath, John said, "Sherlock, you can't sleep in other people's beds without permission."

After a pause, Sherlock nodded. "Okay."

John nodded.

"Are you going to be out all night a lot?"

"I dunno," John replied. "If I do, it'll just be on the weekends, and maybe Thursdays. Do you want to use my bed when I do?"

Sherlock nodded.

"Okay."