13

After breakfast Christmas Eve, John was sitting by the fire reading when Mycroft walked up and sat in the chair near him. John could tell by his expression that Mycroft wanted to talk to him.

"Yes?"

"You know about the Christmas party in the ball room tonight?"

"Yep."

"There will be a few low-level government officials I want to meet. I'd like Sherlock to be there, as well."

"You want me to talk him into coming."

"Yes," Mycroft replied. "However, it would be best if he thought it was entirely your idea."

"I can try, but I find it hard to lie to him. I mean, I can do it but he usually figures it out."

"Will you try?"

John smiled. "Yeah, sure."

Sherlock was sitting at the kitchen table working with a chemistry set. John sat down and waited until Sherlock took notice of him. It was a good five minutes before Sherlock looked at him.

"John?"

"Hey, Sherlock. So, you know there's a Christmas party tonight-"

"Oh, God, you want me to come with you, don't you?"

John laughed. "Yes."

There was a pause.

"Yes, all right."

"Oh... great!" said John, who was a little surprised at how quickly Sherlock agreed.

That evening, John got dressed in a nice red dress shirt and black trousers, fixing his hair and making sure his shoes were shiny.

John was surprised when Sherlock came out of the bathroom in a stunning jade shirt and stylish black trousers. He always looked good, but right then and there, he looked amazing. John smiled.

John, Sherlock, Greg, and Mycroft walked over to the ball room.

"Sherlock," said Mycroft as they entered, "There are people I'd like you to meet."

"Yes, I had a feeling this was your idea."

"Yet you still came," Mycroft pointed out.

"I came because John asked me to," Sherlock explained. "However, I will play along with you if I get to leave when I want to."