Chapter 6

"No! They can't take you away!" Wulf said. It was almost two in the morning, but Jesper had gone around to all the Herons houses waking them up and telling them to meet him where they moored the Heron. Everyone began to mumble in agreement with Wulf. The only one who hadn't spoken yet was Hal. He stared at Abby with a dangerous look in his eyes. She had never seen him look that way.

"We have to hide Abby until Gilan is gone." Stefan said.

"But what if he stays longer to look for her?" Lydia said. She had grown fond of Abby of the past two years, since they were the only girls in the crew.

"Maybe we should stand up to him." Edvin suggested.

"Right, and get ourselves killed." Jesper said sarcastically. "We're dealing with a Ranger here, Edvin."

"No, he's right, maybe if we talk to him he'll change his mind." Stig said.

"It's not Gils decision. If my father wants me back, then they'll force me back." Abby said dully. Hal spoke for the first time.

"Then we'll fight." He said simply. Abby's eyes widened.

"Hal, this is my family we're talking about." She said horrified.

"I thought we were your family." Ingvar said. Abby turned to the large boy and bit her lip.

"You are, Ingvar. I love you all, but you're not going to hurt my father." She said. "I know Gil, maybe Stig is right, if I talk to him he'll change his mind." Some of the Herons looked doubtful, but they finally all agreed. Then all of them staggered back to their beds, All except Hal and Jesper. Hal turned to Jesper.

"Thank you, for looking out for my little sister." Hal said. He gave Abby a tight hug then retired to his bed, leaving Jesper and Abby alone. She didn't know what to say to him. After he had kissed her in the woods, he acted as if nothing had happened and ran to alert the crew. Now she wanted to know Jespers true feelings. She had thought of him more as an annoying brother up until he kissed her, now she wasn't so sure.

"Jesper..." She started, but he cut her off.

"Abby, I'm sorry I kissed you back there. I...I didn't know if you felt the same way for me as I did for you, so I just went for it. I shouldn't have kissed you when I didn't know your true feelings." He said, his head was hung in shame, but the look in his eyes told Abby he would do it again in a heart beat. Her heart rate quickened when she saw that look. A deep ache in her stomach twisted her insides, telling her she wanted him too. But what if their plan didn't work the next morning and she was forced back to Araluen? She didn't want heart breaks. She liked him a lot. His dark hair the way is flowed perfectly, He was tall and handsome, and mysterious. But should she share her true feelings to him?

        She didn't even think about what she was going to do next, it was as if her body felt the urge to do something her brain didn't think about. She stood on her tip toes and kissed him on the lips. Next thing she knew, He wrapped his arms around her waist, pulling her body to his own. She slipped her arms around his neck and slid her right hand up his neck and through his hair. The kiss became more passionate and he pushed her back up against the shed. Soon they were both gasping for air and she smiled up at him.

"There, now we're even." She slipped out of his grip and headed back towards the eating house, leaving him in his thoughts.

***

Karina smiled at Abby the next morning as she sat her and Hal down at the table. Abby glanced over at Hal, who looked at her miserably,  but gave Karina a big smile when she looked over at him.

"Abby, We talked to the Oberjarl, He said that he will bind us together as a family on your birthday." She grinned from ear to ear. Abby and Hal glanced at each other again. She turned back to Karina and smiled so wide her cheeks hurt.