Chapter 11

I spent the day wondering what life would be like if I had moved to Mullingar a lot sooner. As pleasant as it was to have time to think about it all, my final exams were coming up and I really needed to study. Earlier this morning I was lectured by my father about studying harder, the usual ‘if you don’t study you won’t pass your exams, then you won’t gain university entrance and you won’t become a successful lawyer like you have always wanted to be.’

Yup, that’s right, I had always wanted to be a lawyer. As maths and science had never been my thing, I always tried my hardest in English and I always seemed to get high results. I began to pull out all my books and folders and set them out neatly on my desk. If Jake was here, he would tell me my OCD was kicking in and I was obsessed with being tidy, but we would both end up laughing anyway.

Jake. Wow, I hadn’t thought about Jake for a few weeks now. I guess we were still an item, we never ended things and we still skyped each other occasionally. He always told me he loved me so I guess that proved we were going to stay together as long as possible.

I pulled my thoughts together and went back to organising my study timetable, colour coding it all and setting up to begin on my English.

The study seemed to last forever. I scheduled in 4 hours for today, taking a break every hour. I could almost have sworn it had been 2 hours when I looked at my clock but unfortunately for me, I had only been going for 30 minutes. Maybe I should have eased back into my study, instead of diving straight into it without another thought.

I seemed to be looking at the clock in 2 minute blocks. What seemed like 2 hours was really only 2 minutes and I was finding it hard to concentrate. Just as I was about to go looking for an excuse to get out of it, I was interrupted by a knock at my bedroom door.

“Are you studying?” the tiny voice of my 8 year old sister spoke, and I smiled gratefully at her.

“Well yeah, but I was going to come out for a few minutes because I need a little break.” I told her.

“Okay, well you should because guess who is here? Nialley! And he brought cupcakes!” She squealed.

“Why?” I said, but my voice didn’t come out how I meant it to. Instead it came out high pitched and almost excited.

“He said his mum wanted him to? I don’t know, ask him yourself.” And with that, she left.

Before leaving my bedroom, I found myself brushing my hair quickly and straightening up my jeans. I wondered if I was doing this because Niall was her. But that was crazy so I pushed the thought aside and entered the living room a few moments later.

“How’s your studying going sweetie?” I heard my father say and I almost didn’t hear him.

“Oh yeah, it’s good. I was just taking a quick break.” I noticed Niall smiling at me.

“When are your exams?” Niall asked politely, his lips forming the words perfectly and for a moment I was worried about not answering the right question.