trigger warning: abuse

- Maria -

I scrolled through Instagram sitting on the couch, watching the door occasionally to make sure James wasn't here yet.

He doesn't like when I check Instagram or Twitter or Snapchat or anything because he says that other guys are going to try to talk to me.

The door suddenly slammed open and I jumped, clicking my phone off and shoving it into my back pocket. Just by looking at him, I could tell James was drunk. It's only 2pm.

"Where's my lunch?" He growled. I tried not to show my fear, knowing he would hurt me if I did.

"I-it's on the table. I made what you asked me to, and I put out some other stuff for you too..." I said. He nodded, stumbling to the kitchen.

I sighed and slowly walked away as he sat down and started eating. This was the daily routine: wake up before him to make breakfast, try to please him, let him go get drunk, make him lunch, don't fight back when he attacks me (whether it be physically or emotionally), make him dinner, and let him take advantage of me. It's the worst routine in the world. But I can't escape it.

I felt my phone buzz and I went to the bedroom to check it so James wouldn't become suspicious. It turned out to be a text from one of my good friends, Theodosia.

Theo: hey Mar! I know you've been talking about jobs lately and I heard that a new café just opened right outside Columbia's campus. You should check it out! The owner seems super sweet

Maria: what's the address? Maybe I'll look tomorrow when James isn't here

Theo: it's 1776 Kings Avenue. It's a super cute place, you'll know it when you see it

Maria: I'll take a look tomorrow. Thanks for letting me know! Also we need to hang soon!!

Theo: yessss!! but finals are about to be kicking my ass... so maybe in a week or so haha.

I smiled to myself as I set my phone aside, making sure to delete the conversation, but writing the address down in my notes. If James found out I was texting my friend, especially about a job... he'd be very angry, to say the least.

"Maria... come here baby..." He slurred, tumbling through the open door suddenly. He must've finished eating.

"What is it, James?" I asked, standing up quickly. He scowled at me and shoved me harshly onto the bed.

"I don't like that tone." He spat, smacking my cheek hard enough to bruise it. I bit my lip to hold back tears, knowing that crying would only bring more abuse.

"I-I'm sorry.. it won't happen again. I p-promise." I mumbled, hanging my head low, still forcing back the tears.

"Damn right it won't." He said, pinning me on the mattress. I squirmed for a moment, wanting to break free. I knew what was coming. I tried to fight back, to get his hands off of me. All that got me was another slap.

"I swear to God, Maria. Let me do what I want to you, dammit!" He shouted. I flinched and nodded, squeezing my eyes shut tightly. I could feel him undressing me and all I wanted to do was leave, get away, run.

No. Stop, please, stop. I don't want this, I don't want you. Stop touching me, I don't like this. No, no, no, don't. Get off of me, get off, please. I don't want this! My mind screamed. I felt silent tears slip down my face and I bit my lip again, trying not to scream in fear.

How did I get myself into this mess?