Unmoving-//3//

It was raining pretty hard outside. It was getting dark and the sound of thunder made me flinch. After having dinner, my stomach was full. I just wanted a cup of hot chocolate to go with a nice book.

I brushed my hand against the books which were neatly stacked on my bookshelf. I wasn't able to reach the books on the top shelf. I gazed at my beautiful collection before I picked out my favourite book- 'Star Crossed'.

All the books that I had bought were a result of my unhealthy teenage obsession over fictional guys. I thought perfect guys didn't exist, until I met Max. But then, everything was snatched away from me in one single night.

I sighed as I picked out the book and lay on my bed, flipping through the pages. My eyes drooped as I reached the end of the fifth chapter. I set the book aside and stared at the ceiling. The book brought back painful memories.

A tear slid down my face. I closed my eyes as I remembered the first time Max and I had met. I did not realize when I lost touch with this world and entered the world of dreams.

I dreamt of my first day in Wisconsin high school. I dreamt of Maddie and Emily, my childhood buddies. I dreamt of the first kiss Max and I shared on the cliff overlooking the city. I sighed even in my sleep.

I wished I could turn back time. I wished everything would go back to normal. I wished, I hadn't gotten on that bike.

                               ---×---

I nibbled at my cheeseburger as I continued flipping through the pages of my book. My obsession with books was starting to creep up again after a long time. Not that it was a bad thing.

Chris and Alissa continued blabbering and laughing as I silently waded in my world. Suddenly, the cafeteria became eerily silent. I heard a can drop into the dustbin, except for that there was only silence. I looked around in confusion as excited as well as startled conversations started among the people. Alissa's eyes were wide and Chris' eyebrows were furrowed in confusion.

"What is it?",I asked Alissa.
She pointed towards the entrance of the cafeteria with her chin. I turned around to see a guy standing near the hallway. He was drenched from foot to toe. Paint was splattered all over his clothes and his teeth were chattering. Broken spectacles sat on his nose and he hugged himself. A hand pushed him into the cafeteria. Marc and Julia appeared from behind, followed by their gangmates.

I sighed and slapped my forehead. The crowd erupted in nervous laughter. The poor guy fell on the slippery marble floor. Chris looked at them with anger as Alissa gulped.

Julia and Marc laughed heartily as the guy got up and rushed out of the cafeteria.

"Why do they keep doing this? What is wrong with them?",I said to myself as I shook my head.

Marc and Julia high fived their comrades and settled on their table. I gave their table a disgusted sneer and turned away.

I started reading my book again. The more I flipped the pages, the more my eyes started to water. The main character- Aden- only reminded me of Max. His way of speaking, his sense of humour. Unknowingly, a tear slipped from my eye and rolled down my cheek.

"Oh my gosh why are you crying?",Alissa asked, placing a hand on my shoulder.
I shook my head and wiped my tears away. Alissa gave Chris a concerned look as he nibbled on his lower lip. Soon, the bell rang and we all headed of to our classrooms.

                                                                         ---x---

"So can you tell us about the Great Depression, Eva?",Mr.White asked.