Chapter 1: Introduction

“I am SO screwed,” Jason said, running his fingers through his brown hair.

“Why do you say that?” Paul asked him, his expression showing his confusion in his green eyes.

“I forgot that Michelle wanted to get together today, and I had already made plans,” Jason replied, smacking his forehead with his right hand, his signature “face-palm”.

“I don't know what to tell you, man,” Paul said as they sat down on Jason's bed. He put his right hand on Jason's left shoulder as he continued. “What do you think you should do?”

“That's the thing, I don't know,” Jason said. “On the one hand, she'd most likely be pissed if I don't show up, but on the other hand, what I had planned is kinda important, as well.”

“What did you have planned, exactly?” Paul asked.

“I was gonna start looking at some colleges,” Jason answered, “and today, I was planning on taking a tour of one. I mean, I'm 19, I'm gonna be 20 in a matter of months, and I'm not even in college yet.”

“Well, don't you think she'd understand that this is something really important?” Paul asked. “I mean, she wants you to get into college almost as much as you do.”

“I know, but she was really looking forward to hanging out today,” Jason replied. “Today's, like, the only chance she has to hang out. The next time we'd be able to be together wouldn't be for another several weeks. Her schedule and mine really conflict a lot.”

“Be careful of your feelings for her,” Paul advised. “You know the Jedi Code just as well as I do.”

“I know, I know,” Jason said. “Don't worry. It's not like I'm trying to marry her or anything.”

“My senses tell me otherwise,” Paul answered.

“Well, don't worry too much about it,” Jason said. “Just trust me on this.”

“If you say so,” Paul responded. “In any case, you need to train some more, my young apprentice.”

“I know, I know,” Jason replied. “I really don't have that much time, though. I was planning to be at the college at 2:00.”

“That still gives us a few hours,” Paul said, looking at the clock, which read 9:30. “I think it's time you face me in a lightsaber duel.”

“Really?” Jason asked as they got up off the bed. “You've never had me face you before.”

“Well, the way I see it, we've been developing your Force powers so much while we're together that I haven't taught you very much about lightsaber combat,” Paul replied. “I know you've been training in your own time, but I want to see how much you've progressed on your own.”

“Okay,” Jason said. “Where should we duel?”

“Your backyard,” Paul replied. “It's the most practical place. It will give us the most room without really being seen.”

“Sounds fine with me,” Jason said.

You have no idea what I've got in store for you, Master, Jason thought as they walked downstairs and walked out the back door and into the backyard. I've got plenty of surprises for you.

They walked towards the middle of the yard and then walked a few feet away from each other, then turned and faced each other.

“Remember,” Paul said, “set your lightsaber on low so we only get burned. We don't want to end up cutting off each others' limbs.”

“Got it,” Jason said, grabbing his lightsaber and setting it on low before activating it. Then, he discreetly set his hidden lightsaber on low as well while Paul was setting his on low and activated it.