Chapter 9: Descent into Darkness

“Jason, don't do this,” Jessica said, lowering her lightsaber while Emily raised hers. “We don't want to hurt you.”

“Jessica, he's a traitor now,” Emily said. “We must detain him.”

“If you can,” Jason said, taking his battle stance. “Just try it.”

“I'm sorry,” Jessica said, shedding a single tear for her former friend before launching at Jason with Emily.

Jason lunged at them as well. He took the offensive and let all of his anger loose. His eyes turned black, and his lightsabers faded completely to red. His combat mirrored this change, as he showed no remorse for his fellow comrades. Emily was the first to fall. He blocked both Emily's and Jessica's blows, pushed them off, and used the Force to push Jessica away from him. He then used an upward swing to knock Emily's lightsaber upwards so he could stab her in the chest. Emily's eyes widened, then closed as she fell to the ground, dead.

“NOO!!!” Jessica exclaimed, watching her former master fall.

Jason turned towards Jessica just then.

“You're next,” Jason said, his tone filled with anger and contempt for the Jedi.

“Jason, don't make me do this,” Jessica pleaded.

“It's too late for begging,” Jason said, pointing his primary lightsaber at her. “Now fight, or die.”

“It seems you've left me no choice,” Jessica said, taking a Djem-So stance. “I'm sorry.”

Jason lunged at her, striking with such ferocity that it surprised Jessica, but not enough to where she couldn't hold her own against the new Sith Lord. With each strike Jason launched, Jessica was able to counter it. Jason, in his rage, had forgotten that she had helped him train and, as a result, knew almost every move in his arsenal. He had to change his style if he was going to defeat her. She knew this, too.

“Jason, I know every move you have,” Jessica said as they got into a saber-lock. “Please, don't force me to kill you.”

“You don't know every move I have,” Jason countered.

He broke the lock, then switched from his favorite Djem-So/Soresu combination to Ataru. With this, he was able to overwhelm her not with his power or defense, but with his speed and acrobatics. He used the Force to increase his speed, allowing him to strike faster than she could block, resulting in Jason being able to cut off her arms. He then crossed his lightsabers in front of her neck.

“Game, set...” Jason said.

“Please, don't,” Jessica pleaded, tears falling from her eyes.

He ignored her as he decapitated her.

“Match,” Jason finished, deactivating his lightsabers.

“Well done, Jason,” Darth Mortem said. “Well done, indeed.”

Jason looked at the headless form of Jessica's body, his anger no longer in control of him. He turned away, not able to look at her any longer. He then fell to his knees in remorse, dropping both his lightsabers, his arms shaking.

“What have I done?” Jason asked himself.

“You are fulfilling your destiny, Jason,” Mortem said, walking up to Jason. “You are very powerful, but you will not achieve the level of power you desire unless you join me.”

“I will do...whatever you ask,” Jason said. “I pledge myself...to your teachings.”

“Good,” Mortem said. “You are no longer a pawn of the Jedi. Henceforth, you shall be known as Darth...Tenebris.”