Chapter 13: Facing the Darkness

The two of them lunged towards each other, both of them aiming to kill. Their lightsabers rebounded off each other immediately, almost causing them to lose their balance because of the force behind the blows. Tenebris, however, recovered quickly and took the offensive immediately. Jason, thinking methodically for once, decided to allow this, relying completely on his Jar'Kai/Soresu combination. He decided to save what was left of his energy so he could counter-attack at just the right moment. This proved tougher than he thought, however, because with his energy exhausted and Tenebris at the peak of his power, Tenebris quickly gained the upper-hand. Jason nearly lost his balance several times within minutes, and he knew that it wouldn't be long before he, too, was killed if he didn't figure out a way to take the advantage.

What would Paul do? Jason asked himself, looking momentarily at his friend's lifeless body.

Why don't you ask me yourself? said a voice in Jason's head.

Paul? Jason thought as he blocked yet another blow. He looked over to where his Master's body had been lying and noticed that it was gone.

Don't lose focus, Paul's voice said. I am still with you in this fight. Now let's take Tenebris out together.

Right, Jason thought as he and Tenebris got into a saber-lock. He stared at Tenebris with a determined expression.

“You won't win,” Jason said. “I am more powerful than you.”

“Ha, you make me laugh,” Tenebris said. “You're weak and feeble, just like the rest of the Jedi. You barely have enough energy to stand right now. How can you possibly beat me?”

“Because I don't just have the power of one Jedi on my side,” Jason said as Paul's spirit took form and floated in the air just behind him. “I have the power of two.”

Tenebris's eyes widened in surprise, and Jason took the opportunity to strike. Tenebris had lost focus, and that would be his downfall. Jason took the offensive now, switching from Soresu to Djem-So, and using the Force to give him strength. He finally took the upper-hand in the fight, and he knew that, this time, he would finally defeat his inner darkness. He destroyed one of Tenebris's lightsabers and forced Tenebris into a corner.

“It's over, Tenebris,” Jason said. “You have lost.”

“Think again,” Tenebris said, staring not at Jason, but just behind him.

Suddenly, Jason felt Eric's lightsaber being pulled from his grip. Unprepared for it, all he could do was let it go and turn around to see Eric wielding the lightsaber, blocking a blow from Darth Mortem that was intended for Jason.

“Finish the fight,” Eric said as he pushed Mortem away from them. “I'll hold of Mortem. You finish off Tenebris.”

Jason nodded as Eric ran towards Mortem and turned to face his assailant, the green blade of his fallen Master lighting his face. Tenebris lunged towards him, but Jason merely side-stepped Tenebris and the fight continued.

“You don't realize that it is I who will win,” Tenebris said. “I know every one of your battle strategies. I know every move you have and know how to block it. You cannot win.”

“You're mistaken about one thing,” Jason said as Paul's spirit flowed into Jason's body. “You don't know all of my moves.”

Suddenly, Jason, infused with the power of Paul, fought with the strength of two Jedi and the skills of multiple Masters. His style, when infused with Paul's, changed dramatically, and Tenebris didn't know how to adjust to the situation. He was merely blocking blows as fast as he could, but it soon turned out to be too much for the Sith to handle. He was quickly disarmed, lightsaber destroyed, and Jason had him at his mercy.