Act I ║ Flame & Shadow

𝓥𝓲𝓴𝓽𝓸𝓻𝔂𝓪

Heir of Night
All Rights Reserved
© 2018 L. C. Rose

"Come away from the window, Lady" the servant woman says from across the room

"Come away from the window, Lady" the servant woman says from across the room. "I must finish your hair."

She's not my usual handmaiden. No, this female, a fæ half-breed, has graying locks pulled back into a tight bun, hands tender with wrinkles and eyes hardened with years of servitude.

I watch a few more seconds across the expanse of Vandread, our capital, and it's black cobblestone streets.
My eyes linger on the little shops of different assortment up and down the avenues alight with life. After another second, I look away and find my seat in front of the elegant, dark wood vanity. We're in my chambers, getting me ready for the day ahead.

Her hands are steady has she brushes my long, knotted bed hair. Quick brushes of the comb at the ends and then long, smooth ones from the roots down. Still, I dont bother asking her name. She's one of many in the palace. There is no point in knowing.

A minute passes in utter silence, then another

"Where is Iskra?" I ask, dryly. My handmaiden is different. She was assigned to me at birth and I knew no other by name.

The olden maid doesn't look at me, instead focusing on perfuming my hair with honey rose extracts. I hear her sigh in annoyance when she realizes that I'm still waiting for her answer.

"Your maid is busy with other matters, Lady." the weary servant says, twisting my hair into a loose braid.

Her tone is enough to turn over my stomach in a way that discourages me from asking any further. With her slightly pointed ears and peculiar violet eyes, I assume she must be from one of the lands of Prairie the Crimson Armada desolated centuries ago, but I don't ask which - not that she would tell me if I did.

"The Lord is expecting council with you today. As soon as you are ready, Lady." she goes on, finishing off the braid with a black velvet ribbon.

I nod.

Yesterday, I had awaken, drenched in sweat and screaming, but pretended to sleep when the maid came- just to avoid facing the reality that awaited me. Today, I wanted to pretend a bit longer...

But no such luck.

~•~

I glide down the halls of Drakengard Palace, past obsidion columns and gemstone chandeliers and all manner of gold gilt on the walls.
If I were any other woman, I would run, but I am the grand princess of the Night Court, and royalty does not run - no matter how much I try.

But, those etiquette lessons never stopped my older brother, Pavel Aleksandrovich, from doing so.
He is running down the hall towards me, at the moment, even though its, as our tutor would say, unbecoming of a crowned prince.