Act VII ║ The Duchess Of House Orel

𝓥𝓲𝓴𝓽𝓸𝓻𝔂𝓪

Heir of Night
All Rights Reserved
© 2018 L. C. Rose

After the closing words and blessings, everyone began to file away into the dining halls of Poenari Fortress; everyone in pursuit of the comforting warmth from the lit fireplaces

After the closing words and blessings, everyone began to file away into the dining halls of Poenari Fortress; everyone in pursuit of the comforting warmth from the lit fireplaces. That chapter of the day now closed with the same grim efficiency as last year.

It was all pointless though; those prayers, chants and psalms - only the most devout could follow closely enough to truly feel the meaning of those resonating words. But even the most zealous hearts grew chilled at the Night Court.

Our skins turned cold, but our hearts grew colder.

Solstice lunch is then served and enjoyed, eaten precisely and properly, the finest and riches foods of the realm

Solstice lunch is then served and enjoyed, eaten precisely and properly, the finest and riches foods of the realm. The king and queen eat with their court party, the noble blooded church goers invited to the extravagant dining; while the less privileged invitees found their ways home to enjoy the festive meal with close family.

I sit between both my brothers, Eve to my left and Pasha on the right, all three the perfect picture of royal dutifulness, as we devour the hardy pieces of scrumptious breads and rice, bite down on all the cured meats plated around for our choosing and delight on mouth-watering fish placed directly in front of me, still steaming.

With cunning grace, my siblings and I avoid too serious conversation or overly extraneous banter from meal guests; and instead, opt for more private and intimate chitchat among ourselves.

"Did you happen to see Duchess Orel and her house? They were seated at the back." My older brother mentions in a hushed tone.

I feel my blood electrify with excitement, and I drop the piece of piping hot salmon back on my plate. "Aunt Ksenia is here? She was allowed to come? Did Czar and Sasha come as well?"

The shock and pure delight in my voice is more than evident, and Pasha reveals a shy smile at it. He takes another swig of the blood wine in his hands. "No, the twins stayed behind on the estate. It seems, though, that under Grandmothers thoughtful insistence was our aunt invited."