⊳ 𝐱. Downward Slope

◤ chapter ten: ❛ downward slope ❜ ◢

chapter ten: ❛ downward slope ❜ ◢

OF COURSE, WHEN LIFE WAS COMING UP TONI, LIFE JUST HAD TO FUCK HER OVER AGAIN. It was like laugh was laughing in her face like oh, you think this good shit is gonna last? Yeah right! and then all the good shit she's had, all the high feelings she had when she on the Ferris wheel with Atlas, was gone.

         Because when there was a high, there was a fall. A peak always had a valley, and those highs didn't last. They were never forever, they were just a constant turn from high to low and when she felt on top of the world, completely invincible, she came back down and she felt completely mortal and woundable again. Gods didn't stay gods forever, and that invincibility was fleeting.

         Like always, it started at school. Her hair was in a high pony tail because she actually decided to do something with it for once instead of letting it run loose. Her mother always liked it when she did something special, lighting up when she combed through her hair and put it in a braid or something cute, and there was a bit of disappointment when she did nothing – barely running a comb through it. And, of course, because she was Toni and a complete and utter bitch (as everyone at Midtown knew her as), she stopped doing shit with her hair just to piss off her mom even more. Eden Alderson deserved it, honestly.

         Or maybe the low started to rain down upon her when she saw her cousin, going to visit Finn for the first time willingly in years. They used to be as thick as thieves, her and Finn against the world, but that was when they were kids and before Toni embraced their high class lives, being the rich girl, and Finn rejected it. He ran far away from being just another rich kid living off of daddy's money, probably because it wasn't like he and his father had a great relationship.

         Really, Finn was the product of an affair with his secretary turned marriage. So they broke apart. She embraced her stereotypical rich life with lavish and expensive items, never straying away from the privilege she had, but Finn tried to run. He ran so far he ended up a stereotype; the story of a rich kid selling drugs wasn't exactly new.

         So maybe the low came when she finally decided to see him again because, she didn't really know, but it felt right. Because she was sitting on her balcony by herself, smoking a blunt, and feeling so down on herself. The high was gone, the embrace of the pier and the giggling of her friends, the companionship was completely gone, so she felt down and all she wanted to do was complain. And somewhere, because they had already seen each other recently, Finn came to her mind so she went to see him, and ended up complaining about Harry Osborn – the fucking pain in her ass who she couldn't get out of her head.

         Fuck him.

         He was annoying and she should be over him and not thinking about him constantly, but she was and she hated it. And Finn just listened and bit back at her and, for a second, she could remember them when they were younger and the best of friends. Young Toni who believed she didn't need anyone else because she had Finn and he was enough.