Mulya

Mulya
(Cost)

She screamed holding him in her arms. He had lost lots of blood while struggling to free himself from the chains and punishing Bhadraketu. Moreover, the blood fromthe wound that Shyam made through his abdomen, overflowed leaving a huge red mark on Tarini's yellow Saree.

He was quickly carried by the soldiers to his chamber. Tarini behaved as if in a trance. She had realised that the blood loss was too much for one to survive. In that state he had come to save her, he had come to protect her dignity and there could be none as foolish as her to doubt the love, the respect he held for her. No! She couldn't afford to lose the only person till yet who has loved her throughout.

She took fast steps into the chamber where the mendicants were treating him.

"Vaid (mendicant), what happened? He is fine right? He shall wake up right?"

"We can't say anything Yuvrani ( crown prince 's wife)! We have covered his wound with medicinal paste and the bleeding has stopped. A lot of blood have been lost and he looks pale. His hertbeats are dimnishing. We don't know if we shall be able to save him or not." The mendicants lowered their heads and spoke.

"What are you saying!" exclaimed Sayantani while being bandaged. She had not felt a tad bit bad on becoming a widow. She felt it to be betteŕ than being Shyam's wife.

"If something happens to him, who will take care of the kingdom? He is the only heir left!" shouted Anjili. "Mendicants! You have to bring my brother back to life! Aaranya can't afford losing him!"

"Neither can I..." Tarini whispered to herself. She ran despite the fact that her feet were swollen and bleeding due to the dance and pulling.

****************

She fell on the feet of the sage Devikrupa who was being attended to by some mendicants. The attack on him had proven lethal, he had very less time left.

"Sir, Aaranya's future and my life are on stake! Please do something! Save my husband with your holy powers! I know you can surely do something. Please! Please, sir!" she broke down on his feet.

"No, my child. Don't cry! It doesn't befit an Empress to fall on the foot ..."

" I am no Empress, sir!" she shouted "Can an Empress exist without an Emperor? "

"Being an Empress was in your destiny, child. You were born with Rajayog. With or without an Emperor is your fate, we can't change that. This region needs an able administrator and gender is no bias to that."

"What do you mean?"

" You were destined to be an empress, child. I knew it was you when I saw you. Years ago when I had taught you all I knew in the forests of Mrugsarovar, I knew your destiny. I did my best to try to prepare you for becoming and Empress. You are going to become the Empress of Aaranya. With or without and Emperor - that only time shall tell."

Tarinii looked on shocked. There was once a time when she had wished to be the total administrator of a place. But now at the cost of Arnav? She doesn't want this anymore.

"Revered sage, his breath and heartbeats are dimnishing with each passing second. At this time, I can't think about anything but a method to give Aaranya even a small ray of hope about his life. Please help me! If it is because of my wishes that he shall cease to exist, then I don't want to survive either. I can't believe that I am repenting my own childhood aspirations." Tarini cried.

"No, child... Aspirations give life to a human. You must not repent them. These are my last breaths and I shall be cursed if I won't guide you in this difficult time.I have a suggestion for you. Pray to the lord at the temple near the hill. You might find some help. Go, my child." The sage said before closing his eyes for the last time.

Tarini bowed her head in reverence and touched his feet.

"Please arrange the final rites for the sage and inform his disciples about this." She requested the soldiers before leaving for the stables.

Please keep him alive! She prayed to the almighty.

**************
It had been a quiet and fast ride towards the hill. She had set out alone on Arnav's horse. The animal had sensed the turbulence in his mistress' mind and had complied easily. She reached the foot of the hill by late evening. She asked Veer to wait for her and proceeded to sèarch for the temple by foot.

The lack of sunlight made it difficult for her to locate the shrine. Dehydration and exhaustion got the best of her as soon as she entered the temple. She fell unconscious at the foot of the lord's idol.