Tyaag

Tyaag

(Sacrifice)

Flashback continues...

"Look! Rajkumar Arnav is breathing so heavily! Vaid ji, please pay attention to him." Sayantani pointed out.

" His pulse has regained steadiness, your highness. I believe he shall regain stability soon. Looks like the Yuvrani has paid a very huge price for such an effective cure." The mendicant commented after checking Arnav.

" Rajkumari, however much grateful I am to you for saving my brother's life, I can't help but be inquisitive about you approaching a Tantrini. Tell me, Tarini, what have you sacrificed for saving the future of Aaranya?" Anjali held Tarini's hand softly while she continued to look at Arnav, tears brimming her solemn eyes.

" The future of Aaranya." Tarini said slowly as she dropped to the floor and started crying.

This ray of hope that he shall survive is enough for me, God! Thank you so much for answering my prayers!

*******

The ministers and noblemen of Aaranya were fighting amongst each other to decide who shall rule now. Some suggested democracy, some suggested election of a new ruler and the others suggested submission to another kingdom. None of them noticed when the little woman, covered in sweat limped into the hall with Arnav's royal imperial sword in her hand and her dupatta balanced on her head. She ascended the steps towards the throne and cleared her throat loudly.

"Loyal noblemen of Aaranya, I hereby announce to you the new master of the throne - Emperor Arnav singh Raizada !" Tarini said with pride, placing Arnav's sword on the velvet of the throne.

Everyone gasped at her announcement.

"But our noble prince is dead, princess!" Some minister exclaimed.

"No, he is not! He is just unconscious! And we, the toyal family of Aaranya, eagerly await the day when he shall wake up and claim his right on the throne. We hope it shall come soon." Tarini smiled, hope gleaming in her eyes.

"So who will take care of Aaranya till then?"screamed another minister.

"Legally, I believe the Yuvrani has the right to take care of Aaranya. I believe she is capable enough to be the proxy ruler till my brother regains his conscious."said Anjali.

"A mere girl as the ruler of such a huge country is unacceptable! We shall leave the kindgdom." revolted a minister.

" You shall revolt against your own country?" Anjali raised her eyebrow.

"You see her as a mere girl but we see her as the Ardhangini of the crown prince, Arnav. He looked upon the people as his own children. Like if he was their father! That makes Tarinii their mother, doesn't it? Everyone knows a mother never shall let any harm reach her children." Vikram, Anjali's husband supported her decision.

" My kingdom, Raigad is the most important supporter to this throne and by that very importance vested in my crown, I declare Tarini, wife of Yuvraj Arnav Singh raizada as the Empress and the administrative head of the country Aaranya." Vikram used his stamp on the legal document sealing Tarini's fate, once again.

That was the fateful day when the war compensation became the Empress of Aaranya - an Empress without an Emperor.

As Tarini replayed that fateful day in her mind, she couldn't stop herself from sobbing.

"When shall you wake up?"
*********

A sudden noise shook the daylights off Tarini. She was sleeping near Arnav, her hand on his hand, her head on his chest. It was a very uncomfortable position as she was half on the ground yet she felt ultimate comfort as she could feel Arnav's pulse rising and dipping with her breath.