Nayika

Nayika
(Leader)

Arnav went towards the sacrificial fire with a calm expression. The whole crowd cheered for him. He sat for the yagna and the sages started putting offerings in the holy fire and sprinkled holy water on him. He joined his hands and repeated the hymns the sages told him to. He closed his eyes and remembered his noble father.

“ Please bring the Empress  forward,"the main sage requested. Arnav’s eyes opened, he looked towards the fire. The sage explained the importance of the clause of having a wife before ascending the throne.

“Marriage is a sacred bond. Your marriage with the empress is a role model for the society, the one they should look up to as ideals. It ensures that the throne shall remain protected by your heirs. Marriage  instills a sense of responsibility in the turbulent minds of young princes. It also assures nature’s balance of men and women even, in the court.”

Tarini entered the hall in her own aura. Her heavy gold anklets made loud tinkling noises spreading throughout the court.

She went and stood beside where Arnav was sitting.

“Samraagi, sit beside your husband. You have to be beside him for all your life,”the sage said.
Tarini nodded and sat beside Arnav.

They both passed a look of mixed emotions to each other. Arnav held her hand in his and made the offerings into the fire. After the recital of some more hymns, they were asked to stand in front of the crowd and make promises to the crowd which they have to try their best to fulfil during their reign.

Arnav went and stood in front of the crowd. He was about to start speaking when he suddenly turned back and looked at Tarini, much to her surprise.

He came backwards to her and faced her. She lowered her head  and closed her eyes expecting more verbal abuse from him. A lone tear trickled down her cheek.

He held her hand, making her look at him in surprise. He was looking straight into her eyes but softly.

“Stand by me!” he whispered in her ear and led her with him to face the crowd. She felt her chest become heavy with pride. Her hand trembled slightly  but she managed to pull up a smile by the time they reached in front of the crowd.

“ I, Arnav Singh Raizada, the son of Aaryamann Singh Raizada and Sunayana devi,  look up to the heavens, our sacred earth and the  people of Aaranya and take an oath that I shall make every attempt possible to protect Aaranya from all evil and take care of all interests of the state and  it’s people and nurture it fully like a father should his child. I shall make sure sense of fair play runs through the veins of each citizen of Aaranya. I take this oath and ascend the sacred throne of Aaranya with my wife.” He then turned to Tarinii, who was staring at him in awe, and nudged her to speak.

“What?" she whispered.

“ Call out to the heavens and swear...” Arnav nudged her.

“Me? But the oath is taken by the Emperor...” Tarinii looked at him in confusion.

“Yes, but you are my half, right?” Arnav explained.
“Ardhangini, according to the scriptures and our marital vows?”

“Oh!"

“ So by law, you are supposed to share my responsibilities.”

“Hmm?”she looked confused.

“Say something!” he nudged her.

“Uh… I, Tarinii Arnav Singh Raizada, the wife of emperor Arnav...”

“The empress of Aaranya” Arnav nudged her again.