- 5 -

Be strong sonic. Be strong sonic. Thats a lot to ask for when you're stage 4.

Tails was his best friend, though it had been years since they'd been together like such, not to mention years since Sonic had ever called Miles by that name. But not too long later, that same Miles, mr. Tails Prower was standing at the entrance to his garage with a stern glare peeking through the angered shadows of his face. "What's he doing here?" Miles voice bursts "I don't want anything to do with that man."

"Miles-"

"Cut it out you two" Knuckles fist cut in between the hedgehog and fox. "If you don't settle this then I'm going to knock the shit out of both of you. And you can't risk that, your royal baldness, not when you don't have much time yourself."

"You're right..." Sonic sighs briefly.

"What's he talking about Sonic?" Mile's

"Miles, I thought you knew?"
"I didn't want to believe it." Miles turns his head away as if to focus back on the blueprints he'd been working on.
"I don't think anyone wants to believe it but it's true" Knuckles pat his glove down on the fox's shoulder.
"If I could stop it I would Miles. I'd do anything to fix this."

"You could've told me sooner at least. I don't like not knowing these things Sonic, I don't like not being part of your life anymore." Miles cried out.
"I can't do anything more than what I've done today. I'm sorry for not telling you about my cancer. I was worried, I was hoping I could be cured fast enough for no one to worry."
"Wait..." Miles peered back over his shoulder "Cancer?"
"In his fast." Knuckles backed sonic up, wallowing in a small nod of his head "Stage 4, I'm afraid."

Miles was furious, he began to yell "Sonic! I thought you were cheating on Sally, not fucking dying from cancer. How could you be stage 4!?"

"Cheating?" Sonic was taken aback by the assumption, how could Miles really believe he was cheating. Sonic the hedgehog is no cheater.

Miles began to sob, to hiccup. Wiping at his eyes frantically trying to stop himself "I've never been so emotionally up then down in my life Sonic. One moment you're cheating then you're not then you have cancer. I'm not mad, I'm just upset. I kind of wish you were cheating on Sally now."

"Miles, I don't have much time left. I wanted you to know that I've never once thought of you as any less than my best friend and I never wanted to see you mad at me again." Sonic pleaded "It hurts to see you so upset with me."
"If I'm your best friend, then why did you stop calling me by the name you gave me."
"Mile-"
"What was the nickname you gave me Sonic?" Miles snapped.
"... Tails."
"Thats right, its Tails. You're so unoriginal and stupid sometimes, I have two tails coming out of my ass and you went for the obvious but when you stopped talking to me I missed that name. I didn't want to hear anyone use it again if it wasn't married with your voice." he announced between his overflowing tears.
"Tails, I didn't know"

Knuckles backed off, was his fox friend going to say it, to finally confess his feelings?
"There's a lot you don't know Sonic. It's been so many years, you've been so distant."

"I'm sorry"

"Sorry won't cut it and now youre dying so I'll never get the apology I truly wished for." his fists clenched by his thighs.

"If there's anything I could do, please tails. Anything."
"Don't die" he ordered
Sonics mouth opened, he gazed away in a sadness, a horrible pain as though his heart had broken "You know I can't do that."
"Then tell me sonic, how much longer do you have."
"I don't know. Any day now. I thought it was best to spend my last hours with my friends and family so I came home."
Tails ran over to hug Sonic "I'm sorry"
"Why are you sorry?"
"Because I only thought about myself. You deserve to have your last moments with your family."
"You and knuckles are my family."
"And sally?"
"Sal too. I love Sal but us three, were the real trio. If i was to die beside anyone I'd be glad to say it was next to you." Sonic said, sobbing as he grabbed hold of Miles in his arms for a hug.

"Awh" Knuckles walked over slowly with his arms raised, kneeling down to complete the embrace, wrapping himself around his two friends. "It won't be the same without you pal."
"No, I've been gone long enough. You've both grown so much without me and I've never been more proud to call you my friends." Sonic laughed soft and slow.
"Thats beautiful, Sonic" Miles sniffs "You've always said the most reassuring things."
"Go on. Without me. Live to the fullest." Sonic's voice fades out, his grasp of the two slowly losing strength.

"Sonic?" Miles calls. "Sonic!"

"Hey sonic, buddy. Are you alright?" Knuckles adds.

"I'm fine. I'm happy. I think I'm able to let go." Sonic's voice croaks.
"Sonic no, SOMEONE CALL AN AMBULANCE!"
"No! Sonic!" Miles screams "I've always loved you, I can't let you go now!"

"Thats. Gay. miles." His laugh weak with his fluttering eyes "I love you... too."
The fox screams in agony shaking the hedgehog.

"That's enough tails, we need to get help!"
"He's gone knuckles, he's GONE!" Miles cried, he let his head fall toward his friends chest that had now stopped moving.
"Yeah... you're right." Knuckles confirmed, attempting to hide his teas. "Let's call Sally."