Secrets Are Revealed

Dean grunted as his shoulders collided with the base of a trestle leg, making the old structure tremble. A stick broke underneath the monstrosity's hooves as it slowly made its way to me.

"Dean!" Sam and I yelled.

I started towards him when Sam lunged for the demon, raising the demon blade high in the air. The hybrid knocked the knife out of his hand, shocking Sam, as he pushed him into a nearby tree.

"Sam. Oh, my dear Sammy. You should know better than to do that. Do you really think that you could use that attack on me? As if I had not seen that one before? Tsk-tsk. I heard that you were much more intelligent than that. I guess even demons lie, don't they?"

Sam's eyes were wide and full of hate.

"Well, you can go back to hell and join your friends!" He spat, as he tossed holy water on him from a flask he had hid in one of his jackets.

The fiend screamed with a voice so terrifying it sent chills up every person in a 3 mile radius. The birds shook the trees as they flew away from the inevitable danger that was going on beneath them. It's voice was a cacophony of every animal, every person, every instrument, every sound that you can imagine, in every pitch; scratching itself into your ear canal, piercing your ear drum, and eating away at your cochlear.

Dean finally awoke to the pain in his head, minutes after of my own futile attempt to do it myself. We huddled together, attempting to block out the poisonous noise with our hands and knees.

The screaming stopped, and everyone lay still for a moment. The mutant's eyes glared at Sam, reflecting a pus green in the moon light.

Then it turned and started running up the trestle.

Sam immediately started after it.

It had the grace of an elephant seal.

Dean guessed that the hooves wouldn't make for decent traction on metal and rust. Sam could easily climb the rails. Yes, they were far apart, but he was able to pull himself up across every length of the legs. He was the health nut after all: running whenever they had stopped long enough on the road to rest. Exercising help him keep let out his anger, as well as becoming a nice break from his normal routine of exorcising.

"Damn it," I said. "He needs to be down here so we can trap him! We didn't put a sign up there!"

"We don't need one." Dean smirked at me. Out of the blue, he grabbed my face gently and kissed me deeply and passionately. His tasted like dirt, sweat, and pain, but it was so utterly Dean. And yet I tasted an underlying tanginess, like...Metal.

Or blood.

"Dean?"

I asked as I pulled away. Dean bent over and coughed. A thin red trail flowed thickly from his lips.

"Dean? God, no. Please. Dean, what's happening? Talk to me, Dean!"

***

Above us, Sam grabbed the goat's hoof before the horror turned around and kicked him. The hunter didn't take very long to regain his position. At the top, they ran. They ran like it was a race, a race in which only one participant will live.

Winner kills loser.

And Sam never took losing lightly.

The tracks were 772 feet across, which was long for a train track bridge, but not long enough when you're running full speed for your life.

Suddenly, the heathen stopped. It stepped back howling, as if it was being burned. Looking carefully over the 90 foot drop, Sam saw that he was caught in the Devil's Trap he had created earlier. Sam laughed with joy and surprise.