My Night With Dean

Louisville, Kentucky

I looked around the crowded bar as the smell of sweat, alcohol, and smoke infiltrated my nostrils. The soft ting of bottle and muffled conversations tickled my ears. I was seated by the soft green felt pool tables, sprinkled with dull colored balls. My gaze shifted around the room. Not much here. But then I saw a man wearing an earth toned green jacket and a black tee. He was about 6'1 with tousled sandy brown hair and a 5 o'clock shadow. He looked around the table, his magnificently green eyes crinkled in concentration. He was searching for something. He put his elbows on the table and formed a perfect triangle.

"Damn." I said in surprise. I'd never seen anyone do anything like that before.

An extremely tall man on the opposite side rolled up his red plaid shirt to his elbows and took his stance. He eyed the triangle carefully, striking the cue ball dead center. The balls went in all different directions. He laughed while Green Eyes looked troubled.

I walked towards their table. "Winner takes on me," I said with a smirk, my hands on my hips. They both looked me up and down. The Plaid Giant turned down the corners of his lips and raised his eyebrows.

"I say deal." He said.

Green Eyes bit his lips and smiled. "I'll take you on."

"It's game then."

It was a close game, but the Plaid Giant eventually won. As Green Eyes set up the balls again, I dusted my stick. The Plaid Giant took his turn, knocking a majority of the balls into their holes.

As I went to take my stance, Green Eyes stopped me.

"No, no, no, no. See?" He said while positioning my fingers and placing his hands on my full hips. "Like this," he whispered into my ear.

"Hey! I call cheat!"

"Shat up, Sammy!"

I knocked the rest of the balls into their spaces, saving the 8 ball for last. I concentrated as I tapped the cue ball. It collided with the black 8 ball. Although, instead of going into the hole, it clipped the side of the table and hit Sammy in the face.

"Oh shit! I'm so sorry!" I rushed to his side.

"I'm fine. Really." He mumbled as he attempted to staunch the bleeding. "I'm gunna go. Get some ice."

Green Eyes doubled over with laughter.

"What's so funny?"

"That," he chuckled, pointing over to Sammy. "Was freaking hilarious."

"Yeah, well, I doubt he thinks it's nearly as funny." I stuttered, my face flushing a light crimson.

"Oh trust me, Sammy has a nice big humour bone."

I laughed and took a swig of my beer.

"I'm Dean by the way." He said, shaking my hand.

"Dean. I'm Cassie."

"Whaddya say about me buying you another beer?"

"I say hop to it!!" And laughed. Dean smiled, his green eyes twinkling, creasing on both sides. It was almost breathtaking.

We walked up to the bar. The Plaid Giant was there holding bag of ice wrapped in paper towels to his face.

"You okay?" I asked.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Trust me, I've had worse," he laughed.

Haven't we all, I thought.

"Well, I think I'm gunna go do some research over there. See ya later Dean. And nice to meet you..."