Chapter 4 - Operation

"Come on! We've gotta get him under anesthesia!" A doctor said as he wheeled him into an operating room and began surgery.

"This looks terrible. What happened to him?" A doctor asked.

"Car crash. Fell down a mountain." Another doctor replied.

"Oh, my gosh." The doctor responded.

Several hours later, Stephen woke up in a hospital room. His hands hoisted from the ceiling in casts.

"Wha--" Stephen tried to speak.

"Stephen, Stephen. Ssh. It's okay. Don't try to speak." Christine said.

"Wh-- what happened?" Stephen asked.

"We were in a car crash. We fell down the side of a mountain in your car on the way to that party." Christine responded.

"Oh, my. Are you okay?" Stephen asked. His speaking was very mumbled due to the damage to his face.

"I'm okay, Stephen. A broken arm and a few cuts and bruises. I'll manage." She responded.

"I'm so sorry." Stephen responded.

"No, Stephen it's okay. Don't worry about it." She replied. "Just get some rest."

"How much will all of this be?" Stephen barely said.

"All of what? Oh, the operation?" Christine asked. "Um-- well, Stephen? They said it'd be in about the hundred thousand range."

"Oh, no." Stephen said. "I have enough but will I ever be able to use my hands again?"

"Hard to say, Stephen. We can only pray for the best." Christine replied.

"Right." Stephen said back. "Because that's worked so well in the past."

"Stephen, there's no need to have attitude right now. You need rest." Christine said.

"Look at me, Christine! Look at me and tell me not to have an attitude!" Stephen yelled.

"Maybe you could've just waited to look at your phone. None of this would have happened." Christine said as she walked out of the hospital room.