2 | drowning star

Their love was like the brightest star in the sky, wondrous and breathtaking.

They cradled the star softly between their hands and hearts, marvelling at its celestial beauty.
They tried to protect it from everyone else and from all the surrounding stars and planets.
They tried to hide its twinkle between their fingers and valves, for it was theirs, and theirs alone.

But it ended up charring their fingertips, and the longer they held on to it, the more it burned.

But they were too stubborn to let it go.

Night after night and with every fight, the star grew hotter between their palms.
It was no longer bringing them joy;
it was no longer brightening up their sky.

With a heartbreaking silence,
they decided the sting of the scalding fire was not worth it anymore.

They realised that their star was once a beauty that was kissed by Heaven, but ended up as a rock licked by the flames of Hell.

With a sky shattering goodbye, they threw their star away, and their world crumbled around them.

They watched as the planets fell into the infinite space between the heavens and the face of the earth.
Some ended up bleeding on mountains, while others laid gasping on land, still alive, still savable.

But their star fell in the ocean, the waters extinguishing its light.
It sank deeper and deeper into the never-ending abyss of the sea.
It settled on the ocean's floor, darkening forever and never to ignite again.

They sat on different beaches and cried rivers of tears over their dead star.
They wailed and screamed over a lost passion and tried to pry their ribs wide open to throw broken, aching hearts away.

Because, they knew; they knew there was nothing that they both could do to salvage their love.

Because tell me, my dear...

How can you ever save a drowning star?

14/6/2018
With love,

14/6/2018With love,