Starving

Roger and I had been asleep most of the morning. I sighed heavily as I yawned.  I looked to the clock on the nightstand: 8:48. Initially, As the doves cooed outside the bedroom window the new dawn of morning snuck into the room. I pushed myself up slightly, feeling the soreness in my arms from being on top of Roger and leaning forward into my palms. Actually, I was a little sore all over but it was nothing a pot of tea and a cigarette couldn’t fix. I moaned slightly and slunked back down into the warm sheets, hearing the heating unit in the bedroom kick on.  I could hear Roger breathe in deeply, reaching an arm out around my shoulders and pullin’ me back against him. I loved the feeling of being spooned up against him. I had missed this as well.

 “You awake?” Roger asked me. I could feel his head against mine. I sighed again.

 “No.” I answered him.

 “Yeah, me neither.” He answered me.  At that moment the phone on the nightstand rang, causing Roger and I to moan in disgust.

 “Don’t answer it, babe.” He told me.

 “Mmm…I won’t.” I wiggled around to face him. “It’s probably Freddie. Aren’t you supposed to go to the studio this morning?” I put my palm onto his face. Roger rolled his eyes.

 “Yeeeeeessss….god…well I got news for him. I’m not doin’ shit yet.” Roger said, the phone still ringing.

 “You wanna’ go get breakfast downstairs?” I asked, holding on to Roger tighter.

 “Let’s just order room service…you an’ me…no one else. Truth is, I wanna’ spend the whole day with you but we gotta’ get some recording done.” Roger paused. “Should I just call Fred back and tell him to shove it? Tell him I got better things to do.”

 I had to admit, it was tempting to tell Roger yes. It would have been wonderful to have a day to us in the city and I knew he was wearing his heart on his sleeve right now.

 “No, sweetheart. He’s counting on you. Tell you what. Let’s you and I have a nice breakfast and I’ll make the dinner reservations again tonight at the Japanese Hibachi place for all of us. We’ll come back here to the bar for drinks.” I pitched the idea to Roger. He smiled at me so he must have liked what I had to say.

 “Yeah, yeah do that. That will be really special for you an’ me to have everyone with us. Lyd, its all my fault that I almost ruined everything for us. I ruined our wedding day.” Roger looked at me, letting his head sink into his hand. I shook my head.

 “No…no…don’t do that. We needed to talk…just so happened, we did it yesterday. We’ve let life get in the way of you an’ me…taken each other for granted…well, you more than me. Everyone has a unique story to share about their wedding. My god, for John and Veronica it was her pregnancy! Chrissie and Brian’s was the fact that it was just so damn beautiful and very romantic…it was very them.” I explained.

 “Lydia…do you realize what when people ask us our wedding story it will read like this: Well, we got married in about a half hour, ran through an airport, oh and my wife didn’t register for syphilis but she sure as hell got it and we had a huge fight about it on our wedding night…” Roger paused and stared at me for a moment. “…and we woke up and…we loved each other more than we did the day before.” He somewhat mumbled. I smiled at him, digging myself deeper into my pillow.