Chapter 39 Marriage Proposal

At this moment, I develop a sincere and deep admiration for the two Lu brothers. You can imagine them growing up under this particular environment, with such a unique and extraordinary mom.

"Ahem.. ahem." Papa Lu clears his throat and coughs twice, breaking the silence. He admonishes Mama Lu, "Oh yes, Jun brought his girlfriend home for the first time today. As his mom, shouldn't you do something?" He glances towards the kitchen. His head is signalling Mama Lu to cook.

As soon as Mama Lu hears these words, she stands up and turns around and asks, "Oh yes. Take a look at the dress I'm wearing today. Does it look nice? I know my darling son is bringing his girlfriend home today. I spent half an hour just to pick out this outfit."

I am rather speechless as I stare at Mama Lu's dress that is adorned with large red peonies. But the Lu brothers speak up in near unison, "Look great. Mom, you look young and beautiful today."

At this time, Lu Jun who has been sitting next to me is tugging at my sleeve, quietly trying to signal me. I quickly nod and say, "Yes, yes. Auntie looks very young and very beautiful in this dress."

Mama Lu's eyes widen with joy as she hears this. Her whole face reflects her high spirits. Papa Lu, the only person who disagrees with this, shakes his head. His face looks serious as he says,"Although this dress looks good, this is not your most beautiful outfit. Mama Lu, I think you should go put on your most beautiful outfit."

"Oh! Really? Which one?" Mama Lu asks.

"The apron!" Papa Lu replies flatly. He holds Mama Lu's hand and speaks in a coaxing tone. "Didn't the kids visit the zoo today? After having been out all day they must be hungry. Shouldn't we prepare a meal?"

"You said the apron is my prettiest outfit. I rather agree." Mama Lu nods in agreement,"But ladies often cannot bear to wear their most beautiful outfit. So Papa Lu, why don't you cook today!"

Papa Lu: "...."

Seeing Papa Lu is being forced to put on an apron to cook makes me wipe my quiet tears of sympathy. I tug Lu Jun's sleeve and ask, "General Manager. Is it usually like this at home? I feel as if uncle's position in this household is rather low."

"It is not usually like this." Lu Jun tilts his head slightly as he whispers into my ear.

That's pretty good. My sympathetic heart calms down a bit as Lu Jun continues,"Usually my dad's position at home is not low, but he has none at all. Today, since we are having you as our guest, he has the right to speak."

I: "...."

This is called having the right to speak? Mama Lu ignores his words. This is no better than not speaking. Poor Papa Lu!

"What are you two muttering over there?" Mama Lu suddenly asks. I sit up straight and wave my hand, "Nothing. Nothing. We are just having a casual chat."

Mama Lu wears an expression of someone who is very experienced. "Young lovers can be rather clingy. Why is it so urgent to chat so much now? After you get married, you have nothing but opportunities to chat." She speaks kindly, "Xiao Xia. (Little Xia) Come sit next to me. I haven't chatted with anyone in a long time. Let us chat a while."

I nod and move towards her. I see both the Lu brothers look at me in sympathy. I am bewildered. It is only a chat. What is the big deal?

As I sit down next to Mama Lu, she suddenly waves excitedly to the two brothers and says "Oh yes. You two have nothing to do anyway. Come have a chat with me."

As soon as these words were spoken, the two brothers stand up in unison and say "Mom, we will help dad wash the veggies."

I cannot help wondering, how come both of them have become so helpful? Even offered to help with house chores!