Chapter 1

Summer's pov

"Are you serious mom. Just because I dont wanna go to An expensive snotty freaking dinner date with some man claiming to be my dad your gonna punish me"

"Summer watch your mouth!"

"I didnt even say anything"

"Im so sick of your attitude. You first failing math class and getting a refferal then this. Im tired of you being you! I dont know how to explain this but im getting tired of you and all your bs! You need to respect my descion and what I say"

Wow. My mom hates me now. Or just wont accept im going through some hard times. But forget this. I cant deal with this. I feel dizzy. First of I'm scared of my stepfather for reasons I would rather not talk about .I want to sit down and talk about what she is saying but I cant.Instead I do as what my dad did. I marched up the steps and packed my book bag with all my clothes a pair of chucks and sandals. I grabbed my phone and all my little snack and drinks from my mini fridge. I ran back downstairs trying to avoid eye contact with her and walked right out the door with my mom looking at me with her mouth wide open. I run outside in the cold winter air hitting my face. I take one last look and start my run into the world.

I have no idea where im going. But I know for sure I will never go back there. I continue to walk intill I get to a local burger joint. I walk inside the bathroom and splash some water into my face. Well summer welcome to the real world. Im only 16 and I'm starting a life without my mom. I walk up to the desk to be meeted with a medium skinned cute guy with 2 long braids and a cheesey smile.

"Hi beautuful may I take your order"

He is such a flirt . But this could be to my advantage.

"Hi cutie. I actually have no money. But I was wondering if maybe I could work here"

"Well actually we arent hiring" he says taking a look around.

"Oh" I look down at my shoes and act very disappointed.

"I guess I could get you a spot" He looks at me with a sly grin. He looks unsure of this.

"Really!" I jump from excitement.

"Yes, you can start tommorow"

"Okay thank you so much" I give him a little hug. It was hard because he was behind the desk but I believe it was needed.

I walk out of the burger place and start to walk further away from the city. I walk Intill I see no more fast food places or stores. Its the nice open sky and a road ahead of us that seems to never end. I look around and see high corn stalks to the right of me. I sit down and lean on the corn stalks for support. It doesn't give me much support so I just put my elbow on my knees resting my head in my head.

I cant believe this is gonna be my life for now on. Im a run away. Then I hear a rumbling noise. The first thing that comes to mind is a wolf or coyote or any other dangerous animal. I stand up slowly and get prepared to fight. Then suddenly this light skinned mixed looking kid with a very curly black afro comes out. He looks at me confused and sees my backpack.

"What are you doing here" He ask.

"Why you wanna kno."

"This is my property. I can call the police right now."

"Fine, I ran away. I cant stay in the city because Im pretty sure my mom is going to call the police. But dont worry I wont be around here often I got a job in the city."

"Cant they just find you in your job"

Im silent. I should've came up with a plan before I decided to leave.

"I aint think about that" I look down again. I swear sometimes I'm so stupid.

"Well. You cant just stay here. Just go back to your house"

" I cant you would never understand. My step dad is moving in. And he..." I get chocked up and stop talking before tears start to form.

"Look my dad is very strict to your kind." He says looking me up and down.

"Whatchu mean by my kind"

I already dont like him! What he tryna say. Just cuz he lightskinned and is mixed wit sum dont mean nothing. My tears instantly go away to anger.

"Im just saying."

"Saying what" im starting to catch an attitude with this stuck up lil boy.

"Look! You can stay with me but he just wont let you stay unless ...I tell him your my"

"Friend?"

"Girlfriend"

"So lemme get this straight I have to act like your girlfriend. Heck nah" I do not like this guy and its quite clear that he dont like my kind!

"Alright man . This why I dont like your kind. My dad was right " He says walking back into the fields.

I look up at the sky and see it getting really dark. I really cant stay here. What if it really was an animal. I mean I can fight but I wont be eating a lot so I will probably be weak. I could die out here.

"Fine" I shout.

I know he heard me because I hear him chuckle. I just said fine? I dont understand. I start to follow the sounds of his steps intill we out of the fields.

"I said fine!"

He stops walking and turns back around to me.

"What does fine mean"

"Ill be your pretend girlfriend"

"You dont get it. Im trying to help YOU and you acting like your doing me a favor"

"Okay. Im sorry. Please I really need somewhere to stay"

"Alright then."

He starts to walk towards im guessing the house I'm suppose to be staying at. Its not bad. Smaller than what im use too but its one of thosse old country farm houses. Before we enter the front door that boy stops.

"Look, Just dont take offense to what my dad says. He doesnt like black people."

"Okay. Ill try. Whats your name again. I dont think I caught it."

"Oh its Jacob. You?"

"Its Summer.. Summer Smith"

He smiles then opens up the screen door. Ive never been so scared. We walk inside the house to be greeted with a disgusted look... this will be fun!