Cracked Screen, Crazy Teen

“Mine!” I scream as the volleyball heads straight towards me. I manage to pass it to the target which is an empty basket. “Mine!” I scream again as Coach hits a volleyball straight at me, but this time the ball misses the basket.

  “Rotate!” Coach yells at the team. I jump off the court as two other girls jump in. Right now we’re working on layering on the right side where the right back (aka the setter/me) and the middle back (usually the libero) are shifting in the direction of the ball.

  I can’t wait until practice ends because I don’t want to miss watching the swim club. I always go there by myself, hidden behind bushes, trees, or whatever. I didn’t want others to know of my guilty pleasure. I’m quite embarrassed because people might think I’m a pervert, but I’m not! In fact, I’m jealous of them being able to swim!

  The whistle blows, indicating practice is over. I quickly crank the net down and fold it. My eyes glance at the clock. “Ah!” I’m running late! They might be done before I get there! I throw the net into the storage room and wait for everyone to finish their cleaning. Hurry up. Hurry up. Hurry up! I jump up and down as all the girls gather around the coach. Of course, she gives a little speech about our next game and how well we did in practice. I kind of ignore a bit of it as I’m distracted by the time. Come on, just break out already.

  “Hands in!” Coach yells. She turns to me.

  “Iwatobi on three!” I screech. “One, two, three! Iwatobi!” I say it so quickly, my team was slightly thrown off. I sprint towards the locker room without another wait and grab my bags – I didn’t even have a chance to change.

  As I reach the pool where they were, I hide behind a tree and crouch down. “Wow…” I stare in awe as I watch Nanase Haruka swim fluidly as if the water was a part of him. He doesn’t seem to notice everyone getting out and continues swimming without a care in the world.

  “Haru!” Tachibana Makoto calls out.

  Nanase-san ignores him and continues swimming.

  Tachibana-san sighs and mutters something under his breath.

  “Good job everyone!” Gou-chan exclaims. She turns her head my direction.

  “Oh crap!” I hide behind the tree and wait until Gou-chan starts talking again. I didn’t hear anything else, but when it’s completely silent except for the splashing of water, I look back at the pool. Just then, something sparkles in my eye.

  There, I find Nanase-san stepping out of the pool, dripping with water. He flips his hair a few times and grabs a towel. Just as he throws the towel over his head, his ocean blue eyes suddenly dart towards me. I didn’t have time to react from nerves and we just stare at each other without saying a word.

  I step out of my hiding place and bow. “Ah… G-Good afternoon, Nanase-san!” I greet, stuttering a bit.

  He simply nods his head before heading into the locker room.

  My heart is pounding and it feels like the air is being sucked from my lungs. My, he has the most beautiful blue eyes I have ever seen. “But then Tachibana-san isn’t so bad either,” I mutter to myself while nodding. “Yepp!” I blush. “Ah! What am I thinking?!” Both Nanse Haruka and Tachibana Makoto were in my class. At first, I thought they were girls when we had our first roll call, but the moment I heard their voice and seen their body, I realized they were definitely not girls.

  I sigh. I guess I’m too late today. It’s time to go home. I sulkily walk towards home and plug in my ear buds. This is great. Now that Nanase-san saw me, will I ever be able to go there again? What if he tells everyone else? Ah! I can’t handle the embarrassment! Oh, I don’t want to listen to this song. I stare down at my phone and swipe the screen to change the song. I don’t want to listen to this either. I repeat the same steps a couple of times without looking where I’m going. Just as I find the right song-