Chapter 9

Hayes's POV

"I'm sorry, Mrs. Collins." I apologized to Juliet's mom.

"Call me Anne, and it's not your fault, really." She smiled.

The guys came and gave balloons, cards, and stuffed animals to Juliet. It's been 2 days and she still hasn't woken up.

The doctor told me she's made progress, like she can move her fingers and mumble, the drug she consumed contaminated her blood stream, it contained a certain medicine which made her paralyzed.

She'd mumble my name sometimes, and she'd smile when I say something to her.

"Do you think she's going to wake up?" My voice cracked.

I've been crying ever since she was in here.

"I hope so, sweetheart." Her mom assured me.

"Do you want anything to eat? I'm going to the cafeteria to get coffee, I get it for free, you know." She smiles. I shook my head and she left.

She's kept me company for the past two days, and throughout those two days, she told me she works two jobs, waitress in the day and nurse at night. Which means she's hardly home.

I've been sitting in this uncomfortable chair, and I think I've had enough.

I got up and laid down with Juliet on her hospital bed. I grabbed her hand.

"Juliet I really miss you." I said.

I was skipping most of school to see her. There were flowers taped to her locker, and an announcement was made every day. They acted like she was dead.

"They act like you're dead. They act like you're not coming back. But that's not true. I know you're strong enough to come back. Juliet, you're stronger than this. Don't let Melanie win." I said.

I started to cry again.

"Juliet I want you back." I cried even harder.

I stared at her.

There was a breathing tube on her nose and wrapped around her ears and attached to an oxygen machine. There were needles in her arms, and she was pale and cold.

I put my head on her shoulder and rest.

•••

Juliet's POV

There was a big weight on my chest.

Something was pulling the air out of my body. The oxygen was leaving.

Am I dying?

I need to wake up.

I began to shake, scream, whatever to wake me up.

Then I saw light.

I had no idea where I was.

First, I gasped for air.

I noticed my surroundings, I was in a hospital room.

My head was pounding.

"Juliet!" Someone said.

I turned around.

I looked on the ground.

"Hayes? What are you doing on the ground?" I smiled.

"I wasn't on here originally, you kind of pushed me." He laughed.

"I'm awake."

"You're alive." He got up and hugged me.