Chapter 12

Jada had just walked out of the library. He had yelled at her several times but she had not once looked up as if he was yelling the wrong name. He ran to catch up to her and tapped her lightly on the shoulder. "What's wrong?"

She jumped when he touched her. "Sorry, I'm in la-la land I guess."

"Really I was practically screaming your name, several times." He reached for her hand; "You acted like you didn't hear me at all, as if that's not even your name."

"What?"

"Jada!.....Is that really your name?" He stood in front of her digging deeper into her thoughts, "Things just don't add up Jada. You have scars on you wrist, your ankles and you refuse to let me see you or even get close enough to you. Hell, Gabby thinks I'm her father. Austin has a hand full of secrets and Hannah....." he paused for a second, "Hannah seems to like me but is still very cautious to be around me by herself."

Jada kept walking and he strolled right behind her. She just wanted to get away, for she was not ready for this conversation to take place. He pulled on her arm. "Damn it Jada everywhere we go you are constantly looking over your shoulder as if a ghost or someone is stalking you." He demanded, "If I am going to be with you I have to know."

She starred back as water filled her eyes, "What? What do you need to know?"

"Who are you?" His voice begged for an answer. "Who are you? I called your name over five times and you not once flinched.

"Let go of me." She jerked away.

"I need to know Jada. I deserve to know. Why are you keeping this dark secret inside?"

"What if I am? It just doesn't concern you Derrick." She struck a nerve. She saw his eyes tear up as he looked away. She took a deep breath and for that moment she seemed so delicate. She didn't mean to hurt him, suddenly she broke down. "Fine! You want to know who I am, come with me." She turned to walk back towards the library. Without waiting on him she entered the room where they kept the articles from the newspapers. She pulled out film from several drawers without even looking them up. Flicked on the machine and found the right page, the page that she really did not want him to see but now he needed to. "Here, this is me, or should I say was me." Tapping on the screen.

There was a beautiful young girl in her late teens or early twenties. Her hair was long and curled with big locks. It had been her so long ago. "When you're done reading," she held up the other films and while she was writing down the pages to look up she finished, "read these. You want to know who I am, well here it is." She had read the articles a thousand times already.

She was about to leave him when he reached for her. "Please don't go." She obeyed and sat in the chair next to him while he read:

"Local Tennessee girl missing after a month," he read to himself. He skimmed over the article and then got out the next. He did not look at her for he was overwhelmed with the information. The last article was about her death; it had been over twelve years ago. He was confused. The pictures were of her but the name was not hers. The articles never mentioned anything about the kids and why would they have, her death was before Austin was born. When he was finished he switched off the machine and just sat there in dumfounded.

"Now you know.....now leave me alone." Tearfully she darted out of the door, and past the main library door. She ran through the parking lot and found her car. Searching for her keys and just as she was fixing to unlock the door his hand came around her.

"Stop!" Forcing herself away from him he yelled, "Damn it, would you just wait a damn minute." He pulled her closer to him. A few college students stopped and stared for a few seconds. "Mind your own business, this is just between us," he yelled. When he looked back at her he starred directly into her eyes, "Get in, I'm driving."