Chapter 7

That night changed everything. Keith made sure they all stayed in line. He even made sure that he beat her at least once a week. He would come home drunk and go straight for her. She never knew when he would come after her and she didn't have to provoke him to be violent. Seth and Bella would hide in their closet but sometimes when it got to unpleasant Seth would take her outside and play far as possible from the house even if it was late at night. They became so close with each other in the past year.

On one of the nights they were playing in the garden and Bella had asked, "Why is daddy so mean?

"I don't know sis?"

"Do you think he will whip us like he does momma?"

He could tell how scared she was. "I hope he never does."

They laid in the dirt and watched the clouds cover the moon and every now and then stars would shine through. It was safe in the garden. Safe from the monster that raged through the house.

He tried to get her mind off of the screams from the house. "Let's go catch fireflies. I bet I can catch more than you."

Hurriedly she jumped up and started running through the garden trying to catch the fireflies that lit up within the night.

*****

"I want another son," he requested.

But Addie did not reply.

"Why haven't you gotten pregnant yet anyway. We have sex practically every night and it's been what..." he paused. "At least a good eight years or so."

"Maybe God doesn't think I need any more children," she whispered.

"Don't use that name in this house," he hissed.

"What God!"

"Yea, you know what word." He stared at her.

She didn't say it again for it was morning time and she did not want to start the day off with a fight.

"I just don't get it, Bella's going on eight and you should at least have had four more by now."

"Well, maybe my bruised up, broken body just can't have any more." She rubbed her belly. She had thought that two was enough and had thanked God daily that he only blessed her with the two.

She threw on her robe and was just about to walk out when he reached up and snatched her by the arm, pulling her back down to the bed. "Yea, we'll just see about that." He caressed her and kissed her gently down her neck to her breast. "It's been a while since we actually made love. Maybe that is what you need."

And for the next thirty minutes he made love to her. Caressed her, kissed every inch of her body. He fingered her hair and whispered in her ear. "I love you Addie." He fondled her, his hands were smooth and they made chills go down her spine. She lay silently while he manipulated her and eased his way inside of her. He took his time and for the first time in a long time she went along with him. Her eyes fluttered. She had wanted to cry but she held back the feeling. He had requested for a boy and he would get it in time for at this very moment she became pregnant. Again.

*****

Within the following months she had noticed the swelling in her mid section. She did not get sick but she seemed to be more tired than usual. On days that she was really tired she would fall asleep, sometimes under the big oak tree. Seth would work in the garden and finish up all of her chores. He had thought she was coming down with something and he knew if the chores were not finished by the time his dad got home it would have only made things more difficult for her.