7// Alasdair

Alasdair. Dr Vargas, I need your help. I need to find a loophole in law 8249. It's the only way I'm getting out of here and earning my freedom.

"Law 8249," Alasdair groaned "are you sure that's the one?"

Yeah. I need to know what it means.

Alasdair filled through some of the papers on his desk before typing in the number online. Opal heard his cursing in a response and assumed he found the document.

What is it, Alasdair?

"It's not a law document, Opal. It's a binding marriage contract between you and my brother."

That's not possible wouldn't I have needed to sign something?

"You did," he said as he scrolled over the document on the computer. "Or rather your parents did for you," Alasdair let out another long string of curses. "You should know, Opal, my brother he's-," Alasdair paused as he thought of what to say "set in his ways. He's a wolf, unlike me, he has a whole pack to care for-," another pause "he's an Alpha, Opal and that makes you the Alpha Female."

"There's got to be a way out of this," Opal cried. This is insanity. This can't be legal," Opal screamed as she slammed her foot into the wall, furious at her situation. "Sander can change this, can't he? He can abolish the contract or something?"

"No, you can't let him do that, Opal. That means you'll be given to another master. As a slave and not a wife or equal."

"I'm not an equal here," Opal argued .

"Not yet. You don't understand how a pack works. They protect their own and you're their leader. If you gain their trust they'll protect you, even from Sander."

"I can't do this. I can't be his wife," tears ran down Opal's face "I can't be an Alpha, Lunar Female, whatever— I can't do it."

"You need to remain calm. Sander will notice if you don't."

"He knew I'd find out," Opal hissed "that's why he didn't want to help me. That spineless coward of a snake-,"

"I would watch your tongue, wife," Sander growled. Opal turned to find him leaning in the doorframe, his eyes still a dazzling lightning gold.

"Or what," Opal asked as she moved in closer toward him "you'll terminate our fake marriage?"

"The marriage is real," Sander frowned "you're my mate. I'm surprised my leech of a brother didn't tell you."

"Alasdair," Opal gasped out loud "what does he mean?"

"I mean this, Wife," he grabbed Opal's chin and tilted her head up toward him "we are a fated pair, twin flames, soulmates. Whatever you want to call it, we belong to one another. I'm sure Alasdair knew that the moment he called the guard to bring you to your lawful accordance."

"He didn't," Opal started to defend.

"How do you think they knew where you were, darling?"

"Why," Opal gasped to Alasdair. She knew he was telling the truth. She was so stupid, why didn't she see it?

"I needed to repay a debt," Alasdair sighed "humans have never done anything for me." Opal wasn't entirely sure what he meant by his last statement but the message was clear. He did not like her, he tried to hurt her "it was actually your parents idea. Luckily for you Alexsander turned out to be your mate."

Opal glanced up at her husband. She noticed his claws were out. Must be a wolf thing, she thought. "He told you," Sander asked as he looked down at his young mate.

She shook her head 'yes' as tears streamed from her eyes. "Can you tell him something for me, wife?"

"W-what," Opal sobbed between tears as she stared at the man fate had given her.

"Tell him if I ever see him here again I'll finish what I started 2,000 years ago."

Opal looked up at her husband in shock. Sander reached out a hand and pulled her hair back from falling in her face. "I'm sorry about all of this. This isn't how I wanted to meet you, mate. I've waited so long," he stared down at her in a way that was almost loving.

Opal twisted out of his grip and away from his touch. He felt warm, familiar and- almost right. "I don't trust you," Opal hissed "leave me alone and get out of my room."

Opal was surprised to see him pause and then turn to leave. "I am sorry, wife," he muttered on his way out before closing the door behind him.

Opal burst out into panicked tears. I have no one, she sobbed, my own family betrayed me.

Opal cried herself to sleep.