chapter 02.

( CHAPTER 2 )❛  crossfire  ❜

( CHAPTER 2 )
  crossfire 

_____

ELENA SAT BEHIND the glass, watching her father get nowhere in the interrogation. The android just sat there, silently staring at the table, LED now at a stable yellow, his body still splattered with blood. Elena sighed into her sip of coffee, being the second one she had that night. She cringed at the stale taste—after midnight was never a great time to have coffee at the station.

Hank suddenly slammed on the table, breaking Elena out of her tired trance as she sat in the chair. "Say something, goddamnit!" He yelled, clearly frustrated that they weren't getting anywhere.

He pushed his chair back, heading towards the door. "Fuck it, I'm outta here."

Elena let another disappointed sigh leave her lips, placing the half filled coffee cup on the table.

As soon as he was buzzed into the room, he took no time in waiting to complain about the situation. "We're wastin' our time interrogating a machine, we're gettin' nothing out of it." Hank sat in the chair beside Elena's.

"Could always try roughing it up a little," Gavin spoke up, one of the stations other detectives; one she didn't have a very nice opinion on. Back in the early days of her working here, when they first met, he seemed to have some feelings for her, but after 2 years of not being interested after seeing what kind of a person he really was, he stopped trying.

"After all," he continued, "it's not human." Something about that made her bite her lip in anger.

"Androids don't feel pain," Connor spoke up from behind her, "you would only damage it, and that wouldn't make it talk. Deviants also have a tendency to self-destruct when they're in stressful situations."

Didn't actually know that...she thought, glancing behind her at the android.

"Okay smartass," Gavin exclaimed while pushing off the wall he was leaning on, walking closer to Connor. "What should we do then?"

Connor turned back to the glass. "I could try questioning it."

Gavin let out a loud laugh, making Elena's eyebrows furrow in confusion. She tilted her head to meet her father's gaze, seeing as well how he felt about Connor's idea.

"That's actually not a bad idea," Elena commented, making Gavin finally shut up.

Connor took a glance at the woman, watching her turn to him in her swivelled chair.

"Go ahead, suspect's all yours," Hank stated, throwing his arm into the air.

Elena gave him a look of reassurance before he turned to the door, and walked inside. Elena turned back to the glass, watching him work. He was programmed to do things like this, so she didn't find it hard to believe he could actually succeed.