chapter 07.

( CHAPTER 7 )❛  memento mori  ❜

( CHAPTER 7 )
  memento mori 

_____

     SNOWFLAKES KISSED ELENA'S cheeks as she trudged towards the bench her father was sitting on. She immediately missed the heat of the car, regretting ever coming to join him.

But after tonight's spell, she couldn't leave him alone, not on a good conscience anyway.

Her body shivered under the cold night air. Maybe on a different night she'd appreciate the first snowfall of the year, but tonight she just wanted to get home.

Elena sat herself on the opposite end of the bench, looking out at the city of Detroit. She didn't need to look over at him to know he was drinking again, the words she wanted to say were lodged in her throat.

She heard Connor make his way to their bench, standing beside Hank.

"Nice view, huh?" Hank spoke to them. "I used to come here a lot before..."

She knew what he meant. He took another swig.

"Can I ask you a person question, Lieutenant?" Connor asked, crossing his arms. Elena wondered if he could feel the coldness in the air.

"Do all androids ask so many personal questions or is it just you?"

"I saw a photo of a child on your kitchen table." Elena stiffened, knowing he'd inevitably ask her about the photo she was looking at as well. "It was your son, right?"

Elena bit her lip, glancing at her boots when she felt Connor's eyes glance towards her.

"Yeah...his name was Cole," Hank answered.

3 years had gone by and Elena still thought about it everyday, whether it was a fond memory or just the thought of missing him, she never forgot about him.

Sadly, it had hit her father more.

Connor stepped forward, getting closer the the edge of the lake. "We're not making any progress on this investigation," Connor pointed out, making Elena shake her head. Don't remind me, she wanted to say, but she kept her mouth shut.

"The deviants have nothing in common. They're all different models, produced at different times, in different places," he continued.

"There's gotta be some kind of link..." Elena replied, fiddling with her frozen hands. The androids seemed to be triggered by abuse, but why?

"What they have in common is this obsession with ra9. It's almost like some kind of...myth. Something they invented that wasn't apart of their original program."

"Androids believing in God..." Hank muttered. Connor turned towards them, trying to catch Elena's gaze, but her eyes were hard on the snow covered ground. "Fuck, what's this world coming to?"