Chapter 45

I pulled the trigger.

The force of the bullet flying loose from the gun exploded back into my hands.

I kept my shoulders straight, my arms stiff and I didn't even flinch.

The bullet pierced the tree I targeted and smoke rose from its dark bark.

I was getting good at this and I hated it.

"Now try it with one hand," Vic said.

He stood a couple feet behind me, clenching onto Chris' rifle as he practiced his aim with the safety still on.

I frowned, but listened. I lowered my left hand, keeping the gun aimed at the same tree. I forced myself to keep my eyes open as I pulled the trigger.

The sharp bang pierced the early morning falling upon the forest like thunder. The force of the gunshot jerked into my palm and this time I did flinch, a small gasp falling from my lips.

"Tommy come here," Vic called my brother and as he moved, he looked back at me. "Now turn and shoot the tree behind you, quick."

My heartbeat quickened, but I did as I was told.

I took a breath then turned, keeping the gun aimed high as I forced myself not to hesitate before I pulled the trigger.

The explosion rose from the gun just in time when I spotted Josh heading towards us and I flinched so hard I stepped back not to lose my balance.

"Whoa," Josh breathed as the bullet flew beside him, completely missing the tree I aimed and piercing the one on the side.

I dropped the gun, my breathing now quick.

"Sorry." I sent him a distorted smile.

"I suppose we still might need to work on that," Vic clicked his tongue.

"Or maybe I shouldn't make a shooter after all," I said.

"But you're getting good at it," Tom said. "I'm kinda proud."

"Being able to shoot someone in the head when you want to is nothing to be proud of," I said.

"Maybe," Josh said, approaching us, "but in our case it's necessary."

"Kellin would be proud of you too, you know," Vic said, leaving a pinch of discomfort slipping down my spine.

Fuck, why did he have to do that?

He used every chance he got to bring up Kellin. I wondered whether he was doing it on purpose. Perhaps constantly bringing up a friend who died for the same cause we were fighting for wasn't a bad thing, and perhaps we should've all been doing it, but pretending like it never happened or like he's never even been here in the first place somehow made things easier.

No one had time for my guilt ridden overthinking and like this I managed to keep my thoughts at bay.

"And if he was still here with us, he'd choose a gun as well," Vic continued. "I also like to think he'd be proud of us all. We've come a long way."

"Yeah," I said, "and we might as well all die tomorrow."

Leaving the monastery was like leaving a safe fort behind, but it was necessary. We were almost out of water and all the lakes around the monastery were poisoned. Josh concluded that since the realm couldn't go on much longer on their own sources The President wouldn't have the lakes and rivers near them poisoned as well, and he was right.

Here were were, not a mile from the realm, hidden in the thickest layers of trees and grass finishing our plan of march and piling ideas of everything that could go wrong.