Chapter 2

Here's the new chapter. I hope you all enjoy it, and thank you for your support. Means a lot to me. Not sure when I will be updating again, but I will try to make it soon. :)

(Derek)

I picked up the newspaper and let myself into the house. I headed to the kitchen, where I found my brother, Parker, leaning against the counter staring into his coffee cup with a frown on his face. Tossing the paper on the island, I asked him what was wrong.

"I'm trying to remember the last time I had a decent cup of coffee." He turned and dumped the remainder of his coffee in the sink. "It's Saturday. You always work on Saturday. What are you doing here?"

"Something happened last night." I sighed. "I need to talk about it."

"Start talking," Parker said.

I told him about my visit with Granddad.

"I hope you know I had nothing to do with Granddad's ultimatum," Parker said.

"I know that."

"You also know that Granddad loves you and wants you to be happy." He cocked his head slightly. "Marriage doesn't have to feel like a life sentence. Marrying Trisha was the best thing I've ever done. Her and Daisy are my world."

I pulled out a chair at the island and sat down. "Don't you ever feel like you're suffocating?"

"No," Parker replied. "Sometimes I need a little space. Sometimes Trisha needs space. That time apart makes us stronger as a couple."

I massaged the back of my neck, trying to relieve the tension I felt. "I was awake most of the night, thinking about the women I've dated. None of them I could see myself settling down with."

"Then you start from the beginning," Parker told me. "You have six months. Meet someone-get to know her. It doesn't have to be difficult."

At that moment, my four year old niece, Daisy, ran into the kitchen. A miniature version of her father, she had the same features, same light brown hair and hazel eyes.

"Uncle Derek," she cried.

"Hey, Ladybug." I scooped her up and set her on my lap, kissing her forehead. "How was school yesterday?"

Daisy attended preschool Monday through Friday. Parker and Trisha had signed her up, feeling it would be a good way for her to interact with children her own age. She adored going to school.

"It was fun," she answered, excitement on her face. "We had show and tell. Bobby brought his pet hamster. We got to touch it."

"What's the hamster's name?" I asked.

"Rodney," she said. "Daddy said I could get a hamster."

"Did he really?" I raised an eyebrow at my brother.

"Munchkin, why don't you go get your shoes?" Parker said. "I'll take you to the bookstore."

"We see Brenna?" she asked.

"We'll see Brenna."

Daisy looked at me. "You come with us, Uncle Derek."

I tugged gently on her ponytail and then helped her down from my lap. "I would love to go with you to the bookstore, Ladybug. Go grab your shoes."