Chapter 3

Thank you all for your support. It means a lot to me. I hope you enjoy the new chapter. I will have another one for you next week. Have a great weekend everyone. :)

(Brenna)

"Amen," the congregation said in unison.

"Peace be with you," Pastor Paul said.

I closed my bible, retrieved my purse from the floor, and rose to my feet. Stepping into the aisle, I slowly moved through the crowd to the front of the sanctuary. There was a couple talking to the pastor. I hung back and waited for them to finish their conversation.

"Hello, Brenna."

I turned and found Derek approaching. He looked handsome in a navy blue suit and white dress shirt. "Derek, hello," I said. "Did you enjoy the service?"

"I did," he said. "It's been a while since I last attended. Do you come often?"

"Every Sunday," Pastor Paul answered for me, as he came toward us, "which is more than I can say for you, Richmond."

"I'd come more often if you weren't so boring," Derek said, smirking. "I dozed off at least twice."

"Next time I'll make balloon animals and serve milk and cookies," Pastor Paul uttered dryly.

I gaped at them.

The pastor chuckled, his gray eyes dancing. "It's alright, Brenna. Derek and I have been friends for years. We like to give each other a hard time."

"Ah, I see," I muttered.

"Do you wish to talk to me?" he inquired.

"Yes," I said. "I wanted to know if you needed any help." I looked at Derek. "His secretary, Betty, had her gall bladder removed. She's home resting and recovering."

"Thank you for asking, but I have plenty of help," Pastor Paul told me.

"Good." I checked my watch. "I'm sorry, but I have to go. The woman's shelter is receiving a new occupant. I promised I would drop by to meet her."

The pastor nodded. "What is her name?"

"Eve," I responded.

"I will pray for her," he said.

I smiled. "Thank you, Pastor."

"No need to thank me."

"Paul, would you give Brenna and me some privacy?" Derek asked, shoving a hand through his short blond hair.

"I will be in my office."

"Thank you." Derek turned to me, once we were alone. "I won't keep you long. I just wanted to know if you would like to have coffee with me later."

I gazed into his warm brown eyes and found myself saying, "I would. What time and where do you want to meet?"

"Say three o'clock at Sunny's Diner?" he suggested.

I told him I would be there and then left for the shelter.