Chapter 8

Thank you all for your patience while I wrote this chapter. I hope it was worth the wait. Thank you for your support. It means so much to me. Please enjoy the chapter and I will have another one for you this weekend. :)

(Brenna)

I stood in front of the bathroom mirror and eyed my reflection critically. What I saw had me sighing softly. The blue dress my mother suggested that I wear looked frumpy on me and my hair was dull and lifeless. Glancing at my watch, I let out another sigh. Derek would be arriving any minute now. There wasn't time for me to change.

Leaving the bathroom, I rolled my eyes at the sound of Andrew cheering from the living room. He had showed up an hour ago, stating that his satellite had went out and there was a football game he wanted to watch. He had raided the refrigerator and then plopped down in front of the TV. Something told me he wouldn't be in any hurry to leave.

I headed to the living room, finding Andrew tossing a pretzel into the air and catching it with his mouth. "I tried that with popcorn once. More of it ended up on the floor than in my mouth."

"What can I say?" Andrew shrugged. "I have skills." He smiled at me. "You look beautiful, sis."

"I do not," I said.

"You know me, Bren," he said. "I don't say things just to be nice. When I say something I mean it, and I mean it when I say you're beautiful."

I smiled weakly. "I love you."

"I love you too," he muttered.

I grabbed my purse from the end table and checked to make sure my keys and cell phone were inside. Just then, the doorbell rang. My heart skipped a beat, as a twinge of panic raced through me. I took a deep breath and told myself everything would be fine.

"Why don't you give me a few minutes alone with him?" Andrew suggested, getting to his feet.

"I don't think so," I said. "I don't want you interrogating him."

Andrew grinned. "I would be gentle."

I ordered him to go back to his game and made my way to the door. Pausing in the small foyer, I took another deep breath to calm myself and opened the door.

At that moment, Andrew yelled, "You dipshit. Who taught you how to throw a football? I bet your mama could throw better than you. Hell, my mama could throw better than you."

Derek chuckled.

I rolled my eyes. "You'll have to forgive my brother. He was dropped on his head as a baby. There's no hope for him."

Andrew stepped up beside me and offered Derek his hand. "Andrew Scott."

"Derek Richmond," Derek said, shaking his hand.

"Do you like football, Derek?" Andrew asked.

"Of course," he answered.

"Patriots or Steelers?"

"Steelers," Derek replied.

"Don't let him in the house," Andrew said in my ear.

"I'm starting to regret that I let you in," I uttered dryly.