Chapter 10

Thank you all for your support. I appreciate it. I hope you enjoy the new chapter and I will have another one for you next week. :)

(Brenna)

The elevator came to a halt and the doors parted. I stepped out, making my way up the short corridor. At the end, I opened a plate glass door and walked into a reception room. The woman behind the desk glanced up, smiling at me.

I returned the smile, as I approached the desk. "Courtney?"

"Do I know you?" she asked politely.

"My name is Brenna," I told her. "We talked on the phone recently."

"Of course," she said. "You own the bookstore."

"That's right," I said. "Is he with a client?"

"No," Courtney muttered. "He's in between appointments, at the moment. Shall I let him know you're here?"

"Please." I held out the small box I was carrying. "I brought him cookies."

Her eyes lighting up, she asked, "What kind of cookies?"

"Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip," I replied. "Would you like one?"

"Thank you, but I have a peanut allergy," she informed me.

I grimaced. "Sorry to hear about that."

"Me too. Those cookies look yummy." Courtney reached out and pressed the intercom button. "Mr. Richmond, Brenna is here to see you."

"Send her in," he told her, "and no interruptions, please."

"Go on in," she said, gesturing to the door.

I thanked her and let myself into Derek's office. He rose from his chair and came around the desk. Our eyes swept over each other, and I couldn't help but think he looked handsome in a charcoal gray suit and white dress shirt.

"Good morning, Brenna," he said softly.

"Good morning." I gave him the box. "I seem to recall a request for Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip cookies."

"Did you now?" He lifted the lid on the box and selected a cookie, taking a bite. His eyes slid closed, a look of pure bliss crossing his face. "Gran would be jealous," he said, once he swallowed. "They're amazing. Thank you, Brenna."

"You're welcome." Just then, my cell phone rang. I apologized for the intrusion, removed my phone from my purse, and answered the call. "Hello?"

"It's Rose. I have a lady here demanding a refund for a book she bought. I told her we don't do refunds."

"What's wrong with the book?" I inquired.

"It has pages missing," she answered.

"Give her a refund and a gift card for her troubles," I said. "Check all the copies we have. If they have pages missing pull them from the shelf."

"Got it," Rose said. "Thanks, boss. Sorry I had to bother you."

"Don't worry about it," I said. "I'll be in soon."