Scene 15

When Felix was gone, Hen made one more stop. The basement was just as dirty as the rest of the abandoned building. He wondered how long he could talk the guy into staying down there. For as long as he made his "offers," though, the representation seemed pretty compliant.

The representation was sitting at a desk, highlighting pads of paper and psychology textbooks.

The textbooks were Hen's fault. It seemed that as soon as he took hold of anyone, they gained an interest in brain functions and, for Soci, obviously social behaviors.

"I miss going outside," Soci whispered as soon as Hen came down the spider-infested stairwell.

"I knew you'd say that. That's why I think you should take a break from this and do something for me."

Soci's eyes lit up. The entire representation of social psychology couldn't sit in a basement forever and somehow understand the outside world.

"The team is switching gears. Poli is secure, but Quinn Kasey is a no-go. He's lost the artistic influence to his fighting, but Felix..."

Soci's eyes went dark.

"I need you to follow him around this week. I'm sure you'll be entertained to see how awkward of a hero he's becoming for us. Of course, make no interaction. We'll leave it to Poli until you've been properly trained."

"What's the point?" Soci growled. "If I can't really do anything?"

"Remember that these people are important to us; they're compliance gives us power both directly and by affiliation. IF we have a representative for all five, we can control every aspect of every person in the world. And we'll both stop losing energy so quickly; jeez. I already need a nap." He laughed, "It's like I'm holding an entire world up!" And then he winked.

Soci was flat faced.

Hen continued, "Plus, I need to know just how connected he and Quinn Kasey are. I need to know if I can dangle them in front of each other and watch them tear each other apart in oblivion."

"Yes, sir," Soci said and walked up the staircase, his eyes flat with the cold blue of Hen's controlling glow inside.