Scene 17

Felix was sitting on the couch again an hour or so after showering.

On the couch, he read a lot and stared at the white walls even more - wishing they were full of color and pattern. He was so itchy to just pick up a paintbrush and slash the white emptiness away. But he also couldn't keep his thoughts away from last nights Fading.

If he had a paintbrush, those scenes would probably end up gorilly on the walls and he didn't want Quinn to have a heart attack.

Instead, he slammed his head into the couch pillow and grumbled.

Quinn was still doing that crazy writing things at the desk behind the wall on the back of the couch.

"Call Janette," Quinn replied to his bored grumbles.

"I don't know her number."

Though Quinn didn't answer, Felix knew he was registering that Felix had never had a phone of any sort.

"She's coming for me, anyway."

"How do you know?"

"She always comes for me."

Felix could wear she heard Quinn shrugging nonchalantly. And then nothing.

And then there was someone rapping on the door.

Felix jumped up and ran over. He wasn't used to her not just coming inside without knocking, but the knocking exited him more than ever now that it was a factor to getting out of the apartment.

"If that's her, you're a magician!" Quinn was poking his head out form the doorframe. His eyes were gleaming with humor.

"It is her." He was handling the knob and locks.

"It can't be."

It was her, in all her iconicness. Dark face. Long hair. Glowing smile. Beauty. "I came to kidnap my son," she said.

"He's a wizard!" Quinn screamed through the room to her.

They both laughed. Felix just smiled. He, then, went to a nearby closet and threw on a coat assigned to him. It was black and thick, with four huge buttons along the flaps of cloth. "We're leaving, right?"

"What? You're trying to get away from me?" Quinn joked.

But, yes; yes Felix was. "Just can't sit around much longer if I don't want my butt to fall off." Then, he turned to Janette, knowing she had a plan already put together for her Jesus-teaching-sessions. "We aren't going to the library again, are we?"

"No," she said flatly, but didn't explain too much more. "We're going to the heart of the matter." The matter of God. This would accordingly be another adventure of their snooping and society debating.

"To 27 B.C.?" he questioned like they could take a time machine right to the major period of Jesus' preaches. And he knew this, because after Fading the night before, he sat up for three more hours and read The Bible, plus two others from the stack.

"That wouldn't be much of a good time, I can promise you." She tugged him out the door and to the tiny elevator shaft, one that had made him extremely uncomfortable due to its tiny volume and weird grinding noises. "I'm showing you church."

"What one looks like?" Felix scratched his head and pulled the coat around himself, tight like a snake coiling around him. He liked it, the coat, but not the idea. The cloth smelled like an expensive bottle of cologne. He wondered if the jacket had even been Quinn's in the first place, because Quinn had never exactly smelled quite that professional.

"What happens in one."

"I read about them like you told me to."

"That's not enough. We're going to have to sit through the most boring hour of your entire life."