01

"Want some coffee? You know you can't resist when I spend all my money on you." My best friend Shelby wiggled her eyebrows at me. I kept in a laugh as I agreed to her offer. We pulled into the nearest coffee place and we whirled around into the drive through. Shelby abruptly stopped, almost whizzing right past the ordering machine. She backed up while getting honked at by the person behind her. She cursed under her breath and a loud crackling voice flew through the window.

"What would you like go order?" A voice said. Whoever was talking sounded like they'd rather be doing anything expect working. Shelby got really close to the receiver and shouted "I would like a chocolate chip latte and an iced Carmel mocha please!" She screeched back. We heard a lot if muttering words that were to slurred to understand.

As we pulled up to the first window I had to control my laughter. They window opened to present a teenage girl with blonde hair and very dark brown eyes glaring at us like she wanted to rip our heads off. Shelby just bit back a laugh and payed up.

"Here's your change." She basically threw it through our window. And we moved up to the next window.

A middle aged man with jet black hair was preparing our coffees behind the glass. The small grey hairs scattered around his head stuck out like a sore thumb and his wrinkles were deep from frowning.

He stuck his head out the window and gently placed the bag into Shelby's hand.

"Thank you for your purchase!" He said with a lopsided smile. The change in personality was astonishing.

We drove home in a peaceful silence, sipping our drinks and blasting the heat to keep out the cold December air in Sydney. Trust me, I love Australia. But the winters? Not so much. All that snow and bitter winds, not my thing.

Shelby nudged me, bringing me back to reality. She smiled at me and I smiled back. She pointed to a new clothing store across the street.

"Wanna go check it out? We sophomores need clothing for parties you know." She winks at me and I sigh.

"I would love to, but my mom is giving me a curfew of 6 for a while," I look at the cars clock reading 5:42, "or she'll take my car." I glance longingly at the store and turn back to Shelby.

"Oh honey I'm so sorry." She gives me a pitiful look and I roll my eyes. She starts to pull out of the parking lot and heads up the little road towards my house.

"It's not my fault my mom caught me sneaking out to meet you for that stupid double date you forced me into." I get a bit frustrated remembering my mom catching me. Shelby forced me to do it, promising to pay for a shopping trip and for me to spare her relationship. I mean, her and her boyfriend Ashton are adorable. But I couldn't make it out that night because I had to help with my moms business party which just happened to be at our house. And she caught me.

Shelby shrugged and we pulled into my neighborhood. We rolled up the big hill to the col-de-sac I live in. Shelby sloppily bumped into our long flat driveway and we said our goodbyes. I wrapped my jacket tight around myself as I jumped onto the snowy ground below. I shut the passenger door and made my way carefully to the front door. I unlocked it using the key hooked around my purse and quickly jumped into my heated house. I shivered as I took off my silver coat and hung it by the door.

I walk into the kitchen, expecting my mom to be in there cooking dinner. Instead I got a note.

Jess,

Hayden's baseball practice was suddenly rescheduled for today. We'll be home by eight. You better be reading this at six no later! Dad should be home soon and there's dinner in the microwave.