chapter four

I came home late after I got a ride from Ayato.

I had about an hour to get ready for work, but I was slow in everything. I had no time but I didn't care about being late, I didn't care because all I thought about was what Ayato said.. "Let go of the past" I whispered to myself while taking off my shoes slowly.

"What did you say?" my step dad asked me.

He's home early today.

He works two jobs to pay for the house and everything, he's a nice guy but I feel bad for him since..

"Akuji..are you listening?" he asks again, but daze off.

I just nod saying "I have work, I'm late so I have to hurry up and get ready." I smile at him and go inside my room.

There's no one.

Hani is probably playing with the neighbor's kids.

Mom is in her room as always. Probably avoiding her husband.

And Amre.. I don't know, he's just not here -as always.

I change my clothes and start doing my hair in front of my mirror as usual.

I put on a nice ribbon my step dad bought for me on my birthday..

*flashback*

I came back home late, I finished work at 12:00.

I sigh as I go inside my room. I'm very tired and I just want to sleep.

I find a box infront of my mirror..

weird.

I open the box and i find a yellow ribbon. It's as yellow as color of the sun.
There's a letter too, so I open it and start to read:
{Akuji, happy birthday }

"Shit. It's my birthday I forgot" ...not really i just tried my best to forget it since it's not that important.

{I wanted to buy a present for you, even if it's small since you've been working so hard and you deserve it.

You study and get the best grades, you work hard even late at nights to help your mom.

I'm so proud of you }

If only he knew the reason of me working so hard.

My tears start to run from my eyes.

I wasn't able to stop them, so I ran to the bathroom in order not to wake up anyone, and I continued reading it... feeling so guilty

{I know you miss your dad, and I know life hasn't been the best with you, but I see you fighting so hard which makes me proud to be your step father.

Maybe even one day you'd consider me your father maybe even call me dad, cause for me Akuji, you have always been my daughter just like Hani is my son.

I love you, and I hope you like the present.}

I couldn't stop crying that night.

The feeling of guilt killing me from the inside, the feeling of betrayal..

I can't lie to him, neither can I lie to myself.

I feel sorry.. but is it my fault?

I can't call him dad.. I can't consider him as my dad..

My father is dead. He's gone. That's all I know.

I won't replace him..but is it really replacing if I consider my step dad as a father?

*end of flashback*

"Tonight is gonna be a long night.." I say to myself. "A tiring one too."

I finish at 12:00 tonight, but I have so much on my mind.. I'll probably be late so they'll make me do extra chores for that.