Chapter 16

The went fine. Just fine. Right now I stood outside the school, about to walk home. Someone ran up beside me.

"Hey Lucy, ready?' Zach asked.

"What are you doing, you have practice?" I asked.

"Remember what I said the first I met you, my coach will never know I'm gone." He said.

"Hey, I don't want you to hurt your football career in high school just to walk me home." I explained.

"I care more about you than football." HE said, taking my hand slyly. I smiled, knowing I was blushing.

"Okay." I smiled. We started walking, still holding hands. We discussed the day and homecoming and everything. Soon we arrived the corner before my house where Zach and I used to break. He stopped, making me stop too since I had his hands.

"Lucy," He looked at me. "I want you to know if you ever need to talk, please just talk." He said.

"I know you and my brothers and Max, you all know about the scars." I sighed.

"Yeah, and we are all just so worried about you." He took my other hands so we were completely facing each other.

"I know, but I swear, it's over. I will never to did it again. I'm happy right now. I promise. I just had gone through some stressful times." I looked at the ground. I felt a hand on my cheek, lifting my face. Zach looked into my eyes and I into his. He gently pressed his lips on mine. I smiled.

"Stop, smiling." HE said, but then proceeded to smile himself. Finally, he pulled his face from mine and released my hands as we continued turning the corner. Ryder and Devan were sat outside waiting, not looking happy. And why was Ryder not at practice?

"Looks like I'm in trouble." I whispered.

"Just, be forward." He said. I nodded slightly. I waved to Zach as we continued walking. I walked inside, my brothers followed me. I saw the rest of them on the couch. I set my bag down nervously.

"Lucy..." Alex said. I saw his phone sitting on the table in front of him. It had messages open. A picture of me and Zach was sitting on the front. I felt all the color drain from my face.

"Why the hell didn't you tell us?" I could tell there was anger bubbling in Devan's voice.

"I-I-I'm sorry, it's just I knew you guys would freak." I turned to him.

"Hell yes we would freak!" Devan's voice was almost shouting.

"Devan..." Ryder set a hand on his back. Devan shrugged it off.

"No Ryder, she has been lying to us." Devan said, still looking at me.

"It's my life!" I defended myself. "I didn't want to see Zach get hurt by you guys. I'm sorry if I felt the same way for a guy who has been helping me a lot lately."

"You can't see him again. Lucy, what if he's playing you?" Devan's voice was actually quite frighten.

"I will see him again. I trust Zach." I tried to explain calmly.

"Devan." Ryder said actually quite stern as well.

"No, Ryder," Devan turned to him.

"Calm down." Ryder had his arms crossed.

"You're okay with this?" Devan was more angry now, I could tell.

"Of course I'm not, but we can handle this differently." Ryder tried to explain.

"No, Ryder, you know that never works. It never did and still hasn't." Devan was now yelling.

"Don't yell him at him!" I now yelled at Devan.

"You can not see Zach and that's final." Devan yelled at me.

"I can do what I want with my life!" I returned.

"Not anymore, you obviously haven't been doing so well lately." His last sentence wasn't yelling, but it didn't need to be. I heard it loud and clear. I felt tears gather in my eyes. The look on Devan's face I could tell he regretted it. It didn't matter. What was said was said. I pushed passed him angrily out the door. I began running, no matter how bad it hurt. "Lucy, I'm sorry!" I heard Devan call after me. It didn't matter. I sprinted from them, all of them. Their rules, their protectiveness, everything.

Soon, my leg hurt so bad I had to sit. I limped into an alley sitting and crying. How could he do that? How could he just try and run my life like mom and dad did. I cried for what seemed like ever.

"Lucy?' I heard a soft voice walking towards me.

"Zach?" I responded, standing up. He pulled my into an embrace.

"I heard what happened. Lucy, I'm so sorry, Devan is broken." He said. I cried into his shoulder.

"I'm an awful sister." I cried.

"What?" Zach asked.

"I knew Devan regretted it. I shouldn't have run. I should have just explained it to him." I sighed and released him. He still reached out though grabbing my hands.

"Hey, what happened, already happened. No way to change it." He said. I nodded.He released my hand and slid an arm over my shoulder. I leaned into him.

"Thank you Zach." I didn't bother to look at him. I already felt awful and I felt seeing his face would make everything even worse. I felt him kiss the side of my head.

"It's going to be alright. I promise." He rubbed my shoulder a little. He stood up, holding out a hand. I grabbed it and he helped me to my feet. I put almost no pressure on my one leg since it was still burning in pain from running. Zach noticed, putting an arm around me and helping me limp. We had been walking for a little bit until we stopped. I had my head down, focus on my leg, but as we stopped I looked up.

"WHy are we...?" My voice trailed. All of my brothers were standing there, teary eyed and worry written across their face. I stood with a slat expression on my face. Just the sight of them wanted to make me cry, but I didn't.

"Lucy." Devan began. "Lucy, I am so, so sorry. I didn't mean it." I released from Zach and limped over, just standing in front of Devan for a moment. He looked at me concerned. Without a moment of hesitation, I pulled him into a hug. HE hugged me back and I cried into his shoulder. We have been a family for to long to all be going through pain and not be there for each other. I felt other gather around, creating a big family hug. I don't know what I would do without these guys.

__________________

It was about 4th period when a few kids came into class. They told us they wanted all the candidates for homecoming King and Queen. They read the list of seniors, juniors, and sophomores. THey all stopped when they got to freshman though.They talked in a little huddle for a moment before turning and starting to say some names. They said some kids I barely know, boys first. They began with girls, calling out some of them. I sat there, working on the silent assignment we were working on in class. All of the sudden I heard my name. All eyes turned to me. I felt my face go hot.

"W-what?" I asked.

"You got voted in from homecoming Queen!" Cassie, who sat next to me, smiled brightly. I grabbed my things and slowly walked over. I knew everyone was staring at me. Racheal, another candidate, had me in a dead glare. My eyes, darted from anyone, not wanting eye contact. I followed behind the group aways back.

We went through some practice for walking out on the football field. There was a little talk after that. They talked about how everyone had to attend, that there was no one who could just step out it made everything worse. They talk about dress. Guys need to wear their jerseys and jeans or just jeans and a nice shirt. Girls, jerseys and leggings or something nice.

Finally, we were done and it lead a little into 7th periods so I only had to sit through another class. Finally, I got my stuff from my locker after the bell and walked to where I would normally meet Zach. He was standing there, waiting for me. He smiled when he saw me. I didn't bother smiling, just looking at the ground. He grabbed my hand and gave me a quick peck on the cheek.

"Hey," He brought my face to meet his, "What's wrong?" He asked.