escape

There I was again, so close to saving my best friend, a gun pointed to my face once more. I tried not to panic. I couldn't let this happen another time. I needed to get out of there, with Tyler, alive. I wasn't going to let this bastard stop me again.

"Really, Josh?" I heard her say. I could only see her face because of the moonlight shining in through the glass door.

With my hand that wasn't holding my friend up, I slowly reached into my pocket where the knife was, hoping Jenna wouldn't see.

She proceeded to chuckle to herself. "You should not have come back here. This time, you won't get out alive." She took a deep breath, and I saw this as my chance.

Before she could pull the trigger, I swiftly pulled out the pocket knife, flinging it at her desperately, hoping it would save me. To my luck, it did. It must have stuck somewhere in her chest, because she doubled over and screamed in pain, shooting at the wall behind us and dropping the gun. I quickly grabbed it and stuck it in my pants, trying not to let Tyler fall, and together we limped out the door.

We were at a major disadvantage. Sure I had the gun now, but  I wasn't sure if it was loaded if I did need it. I couldn't check because I only had one arm free. I tried to run away from that house as fast as I could with Tyler limping beside me, but we were going way too slow and I was starting to get scared. I could still hear Jenna shouting in pain from the house, but soon enough she was going to regain her wits and most definitely chase us. I tried to push these fears into the back of my mind as I staggered down the hill with my friend, keeping to the trees as I had done on the way up.

We were only a few yards from the house when I heard Jenna's screams become less muffled. She was now outside and pursuing us.

"J-Josh..." Tyler muttered. I could tell he was terrified. I was too.

"Ah, fuck it," I said and scooped Tyler up in my arms, carrying him bridal style. This would be faster.

"I'm going to kill you! I'll kill you!" We heard a furious Jenna scream over and over again. I stumbled further into the trees, hoping the shadows were on my side that night.

It was a very long, scary trip. It seemed like it lasted hours. There were many close calls where Jenna almost found us, but, thank the heavens, she never did. I sighed in relief when I saw my car a few feet ahead of me. Tyler was getting heavy.

I ran around to the passenger side of the blue Honda Accord and set Tyler in the seat gently. As I was running back around to the driver's side I saw Jenna on the hill, running toward us, clutching her shoulder where I had apparently stabbed her. The sight was truly horrifying, and I felt like I was in a horror movie. Nevertheless I hopped into the car, revved the engine, and threw it into reverse just as the headlights illuminated the blonde that was inches away from my vehicle.

Soon we were on the road. I didn't dare look back at the mess I left behind. My heart was racing, my breathing was labored. I couldn't believe I actually did it. I drove for a few miles, me and Tyler both being completely silent. I think he was having a hard time believing what had just happened as well.

After a few minutes had passed and I felt we were safe, I pulled into a gas station so I could just sit and gather my thoughts, making sure the doors were locked.

Tyler broke the silence. "D-did that just happen?"

I realized how wide my eyes had been, so I closed them as I nodded. "Yeah. I think so."

It was still dark in the car, but I could hear Tyler start to cry. "Th-thank you Josh... thank you so much."

I couldn't help but smile as I turned and wrapped my arms around him. "Shhh... Don't thank me. If anything, I should apologize for not saving you sooner."

He pulled away after a few seconds, tears rolling down his cheeks. "No. It was dangerous, I get it... I'm just glad you didn't abandon me forever."

We just stayed in that moment for a while, crying and smiling and enjoying the moment of freedom. But joy never lasts long, and there was an important issue that needed to be addressed. Luckily, Tyler spoke up before I could.

"So what do we do now?"

That's what I was trying to figure out ever since I decided I was going to do this. Truth is, I didn't know. I didn't know if we were going to be safe. We probably weren't.

I sighed. "I don't know, Ty. This is scary. I haven't dealt with this before. I want to go back to my place to grab some stuff, since all I have on me right now is my wallet, but I don't think that's a good idea." At that moment the sun started to rise. "Jenna's bound to have told someone right now. I might possibly be a criminal."

He let that sink in a moment. "True. That means the only person we can trust right now is..."

I nodded. "Brendon."