discovery

Three weeks had passed since I saw Tyler at the café. I had tried leaving several more calls, texts, voicemails, emails, any way that I could contact him. Not once did he answer. For a while I started to blame myself again, telling myself that I did something wrong and that's why he refused to talk to me. But the memory of how he looked at me in that café told me otherwise. There was something going on. 

Then I was angry at myself. I knew Tyler wasn't okay, but I still allowed three more weeks to go by without doing anything to fix it. So I decided what I needed to do.

With not an ounce more of hesitation I jumped into my car and drove to Tyler's house.

* * *

About twenty minutes or so had passed before I finally arrived at the entrance to Tyler's driveway. By then it was about seven in the evening, an hour before his wife got home from work. I figured that was enough time to try to find out what was going on with him. I drove up the hill that their house sat on, surrounded by a decent-sized forest all around it, and parked my car at the top. I sat there by myself for a few minutes, trying to prepare myself as to what I would say to my best friend once I got inside, coming up with a way to explain myself and my sudden arrival. I could feel my anxiety coming. I took some deep breaths, turned my car off, got out, and walked to the front door of the house that suddenly seemed very menacing.

Ding, dong.

A few seconds passed by. No answer.

Ding-dong, ding-dong, ding-dong.

Still no answer.

"Tyler, I swear..." I muttered under my breath. If he didn't answer this goddamn door I was going to open it myself. I placed my hand on the doorknob and turned, expecting it to be locked-

Creeeeaaaak. The door flung open.

That was strange. Why would they just leave the door unlocked? I didn't necessarily care. I took it as a sign that I was welcome inside.

The house was dark. It looked like nobody was home, but I wasn't going to leave just because it seemed that way.

"Hello? Tyler? It's Josh, are you home?" I called out to the empty rooms. Still no reply.

I made my way through the kitchen, living room, dining room, bathroom, and guest bedroom, all of which were on the first floor, but found no one. The only place unchecked was the upstairs.

I wandered through the second story's rooms as I had with the first one, but still found nothing. That is, until I got to the master bedroom. What I saw in there shocked me.

If this was what Tyler was hiding from me, no wonder he didn't talk to me for months.