27 || treacherous

palm springs, california
8:00am

A

The next morning, Luke brought me my coffee in bed. And when he asked me what I wanted to do that day, I said nothing. Nothing at all. I never get to do nothing. Neither does he.

So we laid by the pool and caught tans for most of the morning and afternoon. I only dipped my legs in while Luke swam around and splashed water on me every couple minutes.

We drank more home made margaritas and paired our drinks with chips and salsa from the room service menu that genuinely exceeded our expectations.

I finished my magazines and supplied the sound track while we did our version of nothing. It was perfect.

And later that evening, after another luxurious shower Luke came back into the room. I didn't even notice he left while I was washing up.

"Where'd you go?"

"Was doing some stuff. Get dressed, come on."

I didn't know what to dress for but Luke encouraged jeans, so jeans it is.

We drove to another hotel. A less nice one further out into the outskirts of the desert. But I didn't mind. And before I could ask any questions, Luke presented me with a bonfire pit.

We shared a blanket wrapped snug around our shoulders and made s'mores. I love s'mores.

The trunk seemed to have everything we needed and it makes sense why he was gone. The blanket. The chocolate, marshmallows, graham crackers. A Bluetooth speaker. Beers that we stole from the bar.

It was a postcard perfect moment.

Until my phone rang. It interrupted Luke mid sentence.

"Next time we gotta get one of those camp sites in Joshua tree built to stargaze-"

The buzzing felt louder because my phone was in my back pocket and we were sitting so close.

"Sorry." I mumble, refusing to grab my phone to hit ignore because I'm scared that I know exactly who's calling.

"You were saying, Joshua Tree?"

"Yeah. They make these like clear dome things you can rent out heh. It looks cool."

"Sounds cool. I mean this is pretty good but it's probably so pretty out there with zero light." I nod toward the darkness of the desert.

I crane my neck back, admitting all the stars in the sky.

"It's good right?"

"It's perfect. I always forget you can't see these in the city." I sigh.

"Yeah it's like walking around in a computer out there. It's always bright out."

"City that never sleeps." I joke.

"Ew."

"Don't ew New York! I love New York."

"This has to have New York beat though." Luke gestures toward the crackling fire, the stars.

He turns his head so we can lock eyes, "I gotta say in this moment it does have New York beat."

"That's right." Luke snuggles in closer, and then the phone begins to buzz again.

He rolls his eyes.

"I'm sorry! It's probably Shay, she's very persistent." I reach down between us so I can access my phone.

I know it's not the ringing that bothers him. It's the fact that I want to answer it that bothers him. It's the fact that I don't keep my phone on silent when we're together.