Unwanted Competition (Edited)

Disclaimer: This fic is purely fiction, and I wholly respect the relationship of Sara Rubin and Shane Madej.

It was just a random thought someone had brought up at first, a thought you brushed off in the cafeteria. But then it turned to rumors, and now the whole talk of the office.

Maybe it's just all the adults deprived of drama in their life, but it's a lie to say that the situation you found yourself in is interesting.

The game has changed, however, you've got a competitor now. And unfortunately for you, she's a packaged deal.

Sara Rubin sits not too far from your desk, quite oblivious to the world around her. Of course, she always had her own world. And the irony is that you're not that different from each other, just two wallflowers trying to make it through their day. Only the other one is a lot more talented, attractive, and creative than the other.

Damn it, focus. Sara is not a competitor. The rest of your friends deeming yours and Sara's infatuation on the same person a competition is already bad enough, and a fantasy you don't want to reside in. People are just making a big deal out of a stupid office crush. And of course, it's just a crush, and you're content with where it's at.

"How about you just go ask Shane out." Ryan would always tell you. "It's worth a shot."

"It's not worth a shot when you know how it will end. Besides, he likes Sara and Sara likes him."

Ryan frowns. "You don't know that."

"I'm just preparing for the worst, and it'll just cushion my inevitable fall in the end, y'know?"

Of course Ryan Bergara, out of all people, wouldn't understand.

But back to Sara Rubin.

Though she is such a gem, you can't help but be intimidated at the same time. Though she's not as menacing as people would think, it's most likely all the crush-talk going on in your head. Does she even know that you like Shane too? Does she dislike you for that? Does she also think that she's in a competition to win the man's affection? So many questions swarmed in your head that assumptions were made, and assumptions made you distance yourself from the curly-haired girl.

But the situation has escalated.

Shane Madej knows.

And as if your week couldn't get any worse, another rumor breaks out of Shane having an office crush.

How many days of church did you miss to deserve this type of treatment? Granted you haven't been praying at all, but why would God punish you like this?

And though you've accepted your fate with a grimace rather than a smile, the cushion wasn't enough to soften your fall. No matter how much people say heartbreak gets broke overtime, it doesn't. Apart from that, there's the shame stringing along with it and the crushing realization that your friendship with the tall, lanky man you became deeply attracted to is no more.

"You're overreacting, (Y/n)." Ryan says, waving everything off as if it were nothing. Well maybe for him it is nothing, but it's a whole different feeling for you.

"That's easy for you to say. You're not the one who's heartbroken."

"It's just rumors. Besides, if it were true, there's a fifty percent chance that it could be you."

You scoff at the statement. "Right, there are two sides of a coin yet everyone still prefers to choose heads over tales."

"And you could be the heads."