Prologue

I remember when I was little.

Mom and Dad were going through another one of their big fights and I was taking shelter under my favorite star-adorned blanket with my stuffed elephant to protect me from their voices that carried through the house. I couldn't make out what they were saying through my whimpers, but the tone was loud and clear and it was enough to scare me.

Hot tears rolled down my flustered cheeks and terrified sobs wracked my body. Confusion and fear were keeping me company when I just wanted to be left alone.

If mommy and daddy love each other... why are they being so mean? Are they going to leave me? What is happening?

I was seven.

I remember the house going quiet and the familiar creak of my door opening and the soft, careful steps that approached my bedside. I remember the weight of the mattress settling on my right and the gentle fingers that peeled the blanket from my head.

"Mommy?"

Her gaze was strained but soft and my tears were quick to fade when she ran her hands through my hair.

"Why are you crying, Millie?"

My eyes blinked away the tears as I sat up and wrapped my arms around her waist, yearning for comfort, "Do you hate Daddy?"

A sharp intake of breath echoed in my ears and I glanced up at her with worry.

She looked so sad.

"Oh, honey. Of course I don't hate Daddy," she reassured.

Her arms held me close to herself and my anxiety finally began to leave my mind.

"But--"

"Sh, Mila," she quickly removed me from her grip before kneeling on the ground in front of me, looking straight into my eyes, "I know that we get mad at each other sometimes, but trust me when I say that we love each other. We will never leave you, babygirl. I promise. Love is a powerful thing. Always remember that when you love someone enough, your love will always win."

All I did was nod, not quite understanding the meaning of the words she spoke but feeling comforted all the same.

With a swift kiss to my forehead, she tucked me in for the night before turning out the light and slipping out of the room.

If only Mom had known how wrong she was.