Chapter Four: Deceit

I remember finding the community.

Calum and I were cornered in a crumbling gas station by a group of undead. We thought it was over.

Two women and a man managed to save us just in time and offered to take us to their people.

We accepted.

We were low on supplies with no place to stay, so we weren't in any place to refuse their help.

They seemed trustworthy at the time.

When we arrived, everyone greeted us with warm smiles and welcoming words.

It was surreal to see friendliness in the eyes of people. Usually I could only see death.

We should have known they were a bad crowd. The longer the apocalypse stretched on the more insane and more dangerous everyone became. Why would they have been an exception?

We sat down for a hot meal in the cafeteria after receiving a tour. If I hadn't excused myself to the restroom and heard those screams. If I hadn't looked through the kitchen window to see what was being cooked.
If I hadn't ran back to the cafeteria as Calum raised that forkful of meat to his lips...

They were fucking cannibals.

They were cannibals and they gave us two options.

Option one: Join them and become no better than the monsters outside.

Or option two: Become their next meal.

Naturally, we didn't like either of those options.

So we paved ourselves a third with bullets and sharp edges.

I had never killed so many people at one time before.

They threw everything they had at us and we threw everything we had and then some.

Death was on the horizon but we fought like hell to avoid the heavens.

I don't know how we won. We should have lost. We should have, but the sun burned like hellfire as Calum and I stood, surrounded by the lives that we took to save our own.

We killed every last person in that goddamn community.

Every. Last. Person.

Slit throats, pulverized organs, gushing heads, punctured lungs, and snapped spines decorated their lifeless bodies that's eyes shone with death.

...

Like I said before... people became more insane and more dangerous as the apocalypse went on.