Chapter Three: Home

I remember the night Calum told me he loved me.

Covered windows, locked doors, and hushed whispers made up our night as we took sanctuary in a little house in the middle of no where.

We had been living there for a couple days, finding company in each other through mindless talking and wandering touch. It was the closest we had come to peace in a long time, but like everything in this world, it was temporary.

Supplies were running low and in the morning we would have to move on with dangers--alive and dead--lurking around every corner.

Unsurprisingly, sleep evaded us as we lied together.

Every blow of the wind, every snap of a twig, every howl in the distance sent a jolt of fear through our hearts.

The potential of what tomorrow might bring sat heavy in our minds and the only thing that was keeping me grounded was him.

His arms wrapped tightly, protectively, around my waist and the steady stream of hot breath that hit the back of my neck served as a constant reminder that no matter what happened, he'd always be there.

I remember the feeling of being held by him.

How his calloused hands rested under my shirt on my stomach and his stubble scratched the back of my neck with every fleeting kiss. How his legs tangled with mine and his muscular chest pressed against my back. How I could feel the steady beat of his heart and the tension in his shoulders through his touch.

Everything about him was familiar.

He was my home.

His body bent around mine was like a wall sheltering me from the world and as long as I was with him, I was safe.

I knew that he loved me already, and I knew that he knew that I loved him.

We just never had enough time to catch our breaths and finally say it.

Until now.

He pulled me impossibly closer to himself until we became lost in each others' bodies. He arched his neck until I could feel his lips brush against my ear and shivers run down my spine.

"I love you."

God knows that I already knew it but it still caught me off guard.

I lost my breath and my stomach dropped and my eyes widened and my heart burst even though I already fucking knew it.

When I said it back, I could feel his lips curl up into a small smile before he rested his head against the pillow and buried himself in my hair.

I didn't have nightmares that night.

I like to think that he didn't either.

One perfect night taken from a chaotic world.