Chapter Nineteen

School has been school. My friends have been my friends. My "family" has been my "family", but Calum hasn't been Calum and it breaks my heart. I haven't seen that goofy smile in a long time. Too long. It kills me because I know what it is like to go through the constant pain of losing someone so close. You feel like you'll never escape it. It's been seven months since his mom passed away and understandably, he has been a mess. He didn't go to school for two months, and his dad made him see a therapist that he absolutely hates. Her name is Gretchen and he said her office smells like mold.
Our relationship is complicated. We're together right now but we took a small hiatus (or whatever you want to call it), and that was awful. It's hard to see him so down. But eventually he started coming back to school, and we started going to the library on Thursdays again. We started hanging out with Everly, Michael, Ashton and Luke again. We started quoting To Kill a Mockingbird again, and things slowly got better. Of course, there were days that Calum didn't want to talk to me or anyone else and I just gave him space (But he always apologized after for being distant).
I couldn't be more grateful for Calum though. He was the lock to my key as I've told him before (He said it sounded dirty but whatever). He was the best thing that ever happened to me. That goofy grin, homecoming night. Those are things I'll never forget. He started as G, a little secret admirer but turned into a huge part of my life.
He was the thing I never knew I needed.