22 : Discovering It

A/N: This chapter contains a connective theme to the first part of the series

A/N: This chapter contains a connective theme to the first part of the series. If you have read the first story, please try to code your comments so to not spoil it for others. If you have not read the first story, do me a favor and avoid the comments in the second half of the chapter just in case.

Thanks!

***Edit: Everything has been spoiled. Proceed at your own risk.

____

The hospital corridor is quiet and cold, only adding to my anxiety. "Please, is there nothing you can do?" I beg the nurse in hushed tones.

"I'm sorry. I don't decide how much services cost. That will have to contact your insurance for that."

I sigh. "She doesn't have insurance." You can't be a convict with a terminal illness if you want that.

I drove for hours into the night to get here. The doctor said mom had "an episode". She got confused and forgot where she was. When she got violent, they decided to knock her out with drugs, and when she unsurprisingly had a bad reaction, they had to rush her to the hospital. Fucking shitheads.

My nerves were frayed the whole way here, but by the time I arrived, everything had passed and mom acted as if she didn't remember any of it. That's probably just how they wanted it to be -- less chance of a lawsuit if you black out your main witness. Now, they are all forgiven and I'm about to be left with the costs of an ambulance ride, medications and fines from the facility, and a night's stay at a hospital. That doesn't translate to hundreds of dollars, it translates to thousands

Fuck my entire life.

"I'm going to school right now, and she obviously can't pay for this herself ..."

The older woman gives me an unamused frown. "There are payment plans we can get you set up on. Wait here and I will send someone to go over it with you both."

A payment plan does not equal a discount. If anything, it equals a smidge more time before they realize I can't pay and I'm sent to collections. It's bullshit, but I don't have the energy to argue with it any longer. "Okay. Thanks." Without another word, she walks away.

I glance back into the room but can't bear to go inside. I hate her right now. The week has done nothing but remind me of all the ways she has ruined my life. But she still raised me. She still protected me from my father's wrath. She's still my mother.

There is a way to fix this. I have options, they just come with yet another sacrifice. 

Though I hate myself for it, I pull out my phone and dial the number. It goes straight to voicemail, and when the message beeps, I say, "Hi, Daniel. It's me." I fidget nervously in the corridor. "I know you won't get this until you get back but ... I just wanted to let you know that I'd be happy to stay with you."