Freedom

*Ahna's Pov*

I snap out of my trance to find I'm outside, already out the fire escape door, surrounded by nothing but darkness, an empty paddock and a few cars. some times I'm so engrossed in my thoughts I don't know what I'm doing.

I try to remember why I'm here. Stay by Samantha jade starts to blare in the background so loud I'm sure it can be heard miles away.

Shaking the thoughts from my head, I take a deep breath, look up at the moon and exhale a cloud of vapour. I close my eyes and shiver at the pure delight of being out here; The freedom of the darkness, the way it makes my lungs tingle and heart soar.

I get a little giddy and suddenly I'm walking. Eyes closed, further into the night, letting it en-cloak me. My arms rise from my sides and spread like wings-of their own accord. my feet slip out of the ballet flats I'm wearing and the grass reaches up to catch my bare feet as they fall into its icy embrace. My hair dances with the wind, whipping this way and that.

This is what true freedom is. Not the ability to do what you want or to not be oppressed. Sure those things are great, but they should be a given. No one should have to fight for that. True freedom is a feeling.

An emotion that makes your heart pound and a stupid grin spread on your face.

True freedom is not being tied to any one place, and feeling like dancing around-even if your hopeless at it.

Or at least, that's what freedom is to me.

I open my eyes and look up at the moon; pulled into its enchantment, the breath stolen from my lungs.

When I try to get it back, I find a hand clamped around my mouth.